About This Chapter
Physiology I: The Musculoskeletal, Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, and Excretory Systems - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we'll review important systems of the body such as the respiratory system and the circulatory system and find out about their parts and purpose. The instructors teaching this chapter go over kinds of body tissue and the skeletal system, as well as the digestive, excretory, respiratory and circulatory system. Each lesson is short and comes with a multiple-choice quiz so you can test your knowledge before moving on. Use this chapter to learn to:
- Understand multicellular organisms
- Identify types of tissue in the body
- Explain the relationship between the skeletal and muscular system
- Name parts of the circulatory system
- Show how gas is exchanged in the respiratory system
- Understand the difference between the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract
- See how the excretory system works
- Understand the process of respiration
1. Multicellular Organisms, Tissues and Epithelium
Multicellular organisms, like humans, comprise groups of specialized cells working together. Explore the four levels of cellular organization that form an organism and discover one of the four main types of human tissue: epithelial tissue.
2. What is Human Body Tissue? - Definition, Types & Examples
Human body tissue consists of four types of tissue which group cells together to make up our organs and other body parts. Learn more about the four types of tissues in the body and take a short quiz at the end of this lesson.
3. Skeletal System and Muscular System
The skeletal system provides a framework for muscles and tissues, protects the internal organs, and gives shape to the body, while the muscular system allows movement of the body, digestion, circulation, stability, and posture. Discover the major components of the skeletal system and the types of muscles in the muscular system.
4. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
The human circulatory system has many parts that enable blood to move throughout the body. Learn about the circulatory system, how provides oxygen to cells, and explore the many other parts and functions, including the pulmonary and systemic circuits.
5. Gas Exchange in the Human Respiratory System
People need their lungs for gas exchange and to easily transfer gases between the blood and the air. Learn more about the gas exchange, the human respiratory system and it's functions.
6. Digestive System I: The Upper Gastrointestinal Tract
The first stages of the digestive process take place throughout the upper gastrointestinal tract. Review the process of how food moves through the upper gastrointestinal tract, including the mouth, the throat, and the stomach.
7. Digestive System II: The Lower Gastrointestinal Tract
The digestive process occurs primarily in the small intestine. This lesson details the function of each section of the lower gastrointestinal tract, including digestion and water absorption.
8. Excretory System
The excretory system is responsible for removing wastes in the body in order to regulate the body's chemical composition. Discover the roles of the kidney, liver, bladder, and other parts of the excretory system in eliminating wastes and toxins in the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Biology 101: Intro to Biology course
- Basic Terms & Skills in Biological Science
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for Biology
- Introduction to Organic Molecules & Heterotrophs
- The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA
- Enzyme Function, Interactions & Regulation
- Cell Membrane Model, Components & Transport
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Cellular Metabolism & Respiration
- Processes & Steps of DNA Replication
- Transcription, Translation & Protein Synthesis
- Types & Effects of Genetic Mutations
- Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division
- Cellular Structure & Processes in Bacteria & Protists
- Botany: Life Processes in Plants
- The Nervous System & Endocrine System
- Reproduction, Development & Survival in Animals
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Ecology Principles & Community Ecology
- Evolutionary Principles & Natural Selection
- Earth's Timeline & Geological Evolution
- Taxonomic Classification & Phylogeny
- Genetic Engineering & DNA Sequencing
- Studying for Biology 101