About This Chapter
Pi & Circles Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
The lesson plans in this chapter are designed to strengthen your curriculum and streamline the lesson planning process as you prepare to teach your students about pi and circles. These lesson plans offer instructional strategies, learning objectives, discussion and activity ideas and other resources that can help you create fun and informative lessons. Topics covered include:
- The basics of pi
- Circumference and area of a circle
- Radius and diameter
- Unit circles
Each lesson plan is accompanied by at least one supplemental lesson you can share with your students to help them to better understand pi and circles. Multiple-choice quizzes with the lessons can test their comprehension of the information you present.
How It Helps
- Learning objectives: Details the knowledge students will have gained after completing the lessons you've developed using these lesson plans.
- Meets learning standards: Provides an outline for teaching pi and circle concepts that can help your students meet education standards.
- Student engagement: Offers discussion and activity ideas you can incorporate into your lessons to increase your students' interactions and keep them engaged.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning pi and circles lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for the specific pi and circles topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your pi and circles class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related pi and circles lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important pi and circles concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant pi and circles-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Pi Lesson Plan
What is pi and how can it be used to simplify calculations? This lesson plan begins with an engaging video lesson to explain key facts. A fun activity gives students a chance to demonstrate understanding as they fill their tummies.
2. What Is Pi? - Number & Usage
Learn where the number pi comes from, how mathematicians estimate it, and some of the many uses of the number in the worlds of science and mathematics. In the end, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Area & Circumference of a Circle Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce your students to the area and circumference of circles. Students will watch a video lesson, discuss area and circumference, work through a few practice problems, and determine the area and circumference of circles in the real world.
4. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
5. Circumference Games & Activities
Learning about circumferences doesn't have to be simply solving equations. Check out a few of these games and activities which make learning about circumferences fun.
6. Diameter & Radius Lesson Plan
How is the diameter and radius of a circle determined? This lesson plan uses both text and video lessons to define each term and outline formulas for performing the calculations. A fun activity gives students practice with the formulas.
7. Finding the Radius: Formula & Concept
In some problems, the radius is easy to spot, but in others, the radius requires the use of some formulas. Learn how the formulas for circumference and area can help you in figuring out the radius of a circle or sphere.
8. What is Diameter? - Definition & Formula
In this lesson, you can find out how important the diameter is to a circle. Also, you can learn about the formulas that were figured out by the mathematicians of old relating to the diameter and how to use them.
9. Unit Circle Lesson Plan
Do you feel like you're circling the drain with your instruction on unit circles? Study.com helps you simplify your instruction with a video lesson featuring built-in problems to challenge and instruct your students. A simple in-class activity solidifies understanding. To keep the instruction moving forward, why not try our suggestions for related lessons and supplementary activities?
10. Reference Angles & the Unit Circle
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the unit circle and its reference angles to help you solve trigonometry problems. Learn how to find your answers from the unit circle.
11. Arc Length & Sector Area Activities
Teaching students to calculate the length of an arc and find the area of a sector is one of the first steps towards understanding calculus. The activities in this lesson will get your students moving in the right mathematical direction.
12. Circular Arcs & Circles Activities for High School Geometry
Teaching students how circles work and what circular arcs are will increase their level of sophistication within geometry. This lesson offers activities that will help you teach circles and circular arcs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.