About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Piecewise & Composite Functions chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Piecewise functions||Applications of piecewise functions in everyday life; methods for evaluating piecewise functions|
|Tuesday||Domains of piecewise functions||Function restrictions; methods for determining function input values|
|Wednesday||Graphs of piecewise functions||Steps for graphing piecewise functions and performing translations|
|Thursday||Composite functions||Procedures for writing and evaluating composite functions|
|Friday||Problem-solving with functions||Methods for manipulating functions to solve for one or more variables|
1. What are Piecewise Functions?
A piecewise function is a certain type of function that is made up of different parts. This lesson will define and describe piecewise functions and teach you how to identify them and how to write them.
2. How to Find the Domain of Piecewise Functions
The domain of any function is all the values that x can be for that function. Piecewise functions are special functions that have different parts with unique rules for each part. This lesson will show you how to find the domain for piecewise functions.
3. How to Graph Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are specific functions that have more than one piece. There is a special trick to graphing these type of functions, which you will learn in this lesson.
4. Translating Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are two or more functions that only use part of a domain. If these functions need to be changed, we can translate them without even having to know the equation.
5. How to Evaluate Composite Functions
Sometimes a math function depends on the outcome of another function. This lesson breaks down this chain reaction, called a composite function, and how to evaluate them.
6. Manipulating Functions and Solving Equations for Different Variables
Functions can be manipulated to solve for many different variables. There are certain rules to follow, but if the rules are adhered to, solving equations can be quite simple. This lesson will show you how.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Precalculus Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Functions: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Foundations & Linear Equations: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing & Rational Equations: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Polynomials: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Geometry & Trigonometry: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Using Scientific Calculators: College Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometry: College Precalculus Lesson Plans