About This Chapter
PLACE Elementary Education: Patterns and Functions - Chapter Summary
Review the various uses and forms of patterns and functions in mathematics as you prepare for related questions on the PLACE Elementary Education exam. By the time you finish this chapter, you'll have reviewed:
- Recognizing and solving mathematical patterns
- Variables in algebra
- Simplifying addition expressions
- Equations and functions in math
- Linear and nonlinear functions
- Writing relationships as algebraic expressions
- Evaluating simple algebraic expressions
- The commutative, associative and distributive properties
- Combining like terms
- Real world uses for tables and graphs
With both video and transcripts available for each lesson content, you'll be able to choose the way you learn the material. For easy review, the video comes with a timeline feature that lets you skip around to different key points, while the transcript is filled with important terms highlighted in bold.
PLACE Elementary Education: Patterns and Functions Chapter Objectives
Prospective elementary school teachers in Colorado must take the PLACE Elementary Education test, which is used to measure their skills and knowledge as an educator. This chapter can help you prepare for the mathematics part of the exam, which contains a section focused on the use of algebraic methods to explore, model, and describe patterns and functions. You can use this chapter to make sure you're ready for all the exam throws at you within this portion.
1. Recognizing and Solving Mathematical Patterns
Patterns show up in the world around us on a daily basis. In this lesson, we will define mathematical patterns and look at recognizing and solving these patterns. We will examine examples to solidify our understanding of this process.
2. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
3. How to Simplify an Addition Expression
Learn how to simplify and combine like terms in any algebraic expression that uses addition with this lesson. Also learn how to follow the order of operations when simplifying your expression.
4. What is an Equation in Math? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll get a refresher on number sentences. You will then learn what equations are and how they can be useful in finding out missing information.
5. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
6. Linear and Nonlinear Functions
After watching this video lesson, you'll be able to tell the differences between linear and nonlinear functions. You'll also be able to identify both types just by looking at graphs.
7. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
8. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
9. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
10. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
11. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
12. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE Elementary Education: Literacy Development
- PLACE Elementary Education: Reading Strategies
- PLACE Elementary Education: Communication Strategies
- PLACE Elementary Education: Conventions & Spelling
- PLACE Elementary Education: Verbs, Tenses & Agreement
- PLACE Elementary Education: Research Skills
- PLACE Elementary Education: Literary Genres & Terms
- PLACE Elementary Education: Technology Basics
- PLACE Elementary Education: Technology & Society
- PLACE Elementary Education: Scientific Investigation
- PLACE Elementary Education: Physical Science
- PLACE Elementary Education: Life Science
- PLACE Elementary Education: Earth Science
- PLACE Elementary Education: Computation
- PLACE Elementary Education: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- PLACE Elementary Education: Equalities & Inequalities
- PLACE Elementary Education: Statistics & Probability
- PLACE Elementary Education: Geometry
- PLACE Elementary Education: Measurement & Calculations
- PLACE Elementary Education: Foundations of Geography
- PLACE Elementary Education: US History (1400-1877)
- PLACE Elementary Education: US History (1877-1945)
- PLACE Elementary Education: US History from 1945
- PLACE Elementary Education: Colorado History
- PLACE Elementary Education: Culture & Society
- PLACE Elementary Education: Economics
- PLACE Elementary Education: Government
- PLACE Elementary Education: Global Concerns
- PLACE Elementary Education: Social Studies Research
- PLACE Elementary Education: Principles of Music
- PLACE Elementary Education: Visual & Performing Arts
- PLACE Elementary Education: Personal Health & Safety
- PLACE Elementary Education: Public Health
- PLACE Elementary Education: Physical Fitness
- PLACE Elementary Education Flashcards