About This Chapter
PLACE Marketing: Employment Skills - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter allow you to refresh your knowledge of skills related to getting a job. These videos can help you get ready for PLACE Marketing Education exam questions on the following topics:
- Structuring a resume
- Writing an effective cover letter
- Preparing for a job interview
- Avoiding mistakes during the interview
- Evaluating a job offer
These lessons go over topics that are probably familiar to you from high school or college classes, but our instructors may slip in some information that is new to you, too. You can study on a computer or mobile device, anytime you have a few extra minutes.
Objectives of the PLACE Marketing: Employment Skills Chapter
All Colorado marketing teachers seeking certification must pass the PLACE Marketing Education exam. The exam has three subareas, and questions on the topics this chapter covers are in the Marketing Education and Careers subarea.
The exam consists of multiple-choice questions in which you must choose the best answer from several options. The quizzes that follow our video lessons are multiple-choice also. In addition to giving you experience answering these types of questions, the quizzes let you assess your knowledge so you'll know what requires extra study before test day.
1. Parts of Your Resume: Sections & Relevant Information
An effective resume starts with creating a 3-part summary of your qualifications: work experience, education and personal achievements. Every resume should be tailored specifically to match a job advertisement's requirements.
2. Formatting Your Resume: Layout & Distribution Types
Everyone appreciates the importance of a first impression. There are specific layout and distribution types of a resume that can create a professional, visually impressive image in the mind of the reader.
3. Tailoring the Content of Your Resume for a Job
A job applicant should be knowledgeable of how to tailor the content of their resume for a specific job. A custom, detailed, directed resume offers the best chance of acquiring an interview.
4. The Cover Letter: Importance, Details & Format
The cover letter is a necessity when applying for a job. There is a basic format that you can follow consisting of a salutation, three paragraphs and a close that can be used to get a potential employer's attention.
5. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
6. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
7. Responding to a Job Offer: Evaluating & Negotiating
When a company offers you a job, what do you do next? In this lesson, we will look at what to do after you get a job offer, including how to evaluate the offer to see if it's right for you and how to negotiate for better terms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Marketing Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE Marketing: Internal Marketing Principles
- PLACE Marketing: External Marketing Principles
- PLACE Marketing: Product & Services Marketing
- PLACE Marketing: Pricing Objectives & Strategy
- PLACE Marketing: Basic Math Concepts
- PLACE Marketing: Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
- PLACE Marketing: Sales Promotion
- PLACE Marketing: Entrepreneurship
- PLACE Marketing: Accounting
- PLACE Marketing: Finance
- PLACE Marketing: Macroeconomics
- PLACE Marketing: Microeconomics
- PLACE Marketing: International Trade & Global Marketing
- PLACE Marketing: Human Resource Management
- PLACE Marketing: Employee Staffing & Retention
- PLACE Marketing: Business Laws & Regulations
- PLACE Marketing: Business Technology
- PLACE Marketing: Computer Literacy
- PLACE Marketing: Information Systems
- PLACE Marketing: Business Communication
- PLACE Marketing: Education & Career Planning
- PLACE Marketing: Career Development
- PLACE Marketing Education Flashcards