About This Chapter
PLACE Mathematics: Functions - Chapter Summary
As you prepare for the PLACE Mathematics exam, take time to learn how to work with functions through the engaging lesson videos in this chapter. Follow along with our instructors as they review the common properties of different mathematical functions, graphing techniques and how to complete mathematical operations with functions. If you become confused about a topic or have a question, make sure to ask our instructors so that you can effectively master the material on:
- Algebraic, graphical and numeric properties of functions
- Graphical transformations
- The domain and range of functions and composite functions
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with functions
- Composing and compounding functions
- Inverse functions and graphing inverse functions
- Recognizing symmetry graphically
- Differences between even and odd functions
In additions to these lesson videos, this chapter includes quizzes you can use to fortify the material you reviewed. In addition, there are video tags that will take you directly to key topics in the lesson videos and transcripts that present the material of the videos in an easy to read format.
PLACE Mathematics: Functions Chapter Objectives
PLACE Mathematics is a four and a half hour, paper-based exam used in the state of Colorado. This test is composed of a series of multiple-choice questions, of which 24% make up the mathematical functions and relations section; this section is where you can find questions related to the topics in this chapter. Prepare for these questions by completing the lesson videos and quizzes in this chapter then fortify areas of weaknesses using easily to use video tags and lesson transcripts.
1. Compare Properties of Functions Algebraically
In this lesson, we will explore algebraic and numeric properties and the evaluation of functions. We'll demonstrate function evaluations and the idea that every element of the domain has a unique element in the range.
2. Compare Properties of Functions Graphically
In this lesson, we will cover the characteristics of graphs of functions. We will employ the vertical line test and understand why some graphs do not qualify as functions.
3. Compare Properties of Functions Numerically
Can you compare functions when they're written out numerically as tables of values? In this lesson, you'll learn to do just that and to compare one function as a table to another written in a different form.
4. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
5. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
6. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
7. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
8. Domain & Range of Composite Functions: Definition & Examples
Learn what makes a function a composite function and also learn how the parts of a composite function determine its domain. Also in this video lesson, learn about the range of composite functions.
9. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
10. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
11. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
12. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically, and Numerically About the X-axis and Y-axis
When you fold a piece of paper exactly in half, you are creating symmetry. Symmetry is found in many areas of mathematics. In this lesson, learn to recognize symmetry graphically, algebraically, and numerically about the x- and y- axes.
13. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically & Numerically About the Origin
If you look at flowers and fruits, you'll see that many of these items in nature are symmetrical. In this lesson, learn about symmetry about the origin of a graph. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
14. Even & Odd Functions: Definition & Examples
Even and odd functions are an aspect of line symmetry. You can use knowledge of even and odd functions to quickly identify equation symmetry. After this lesson, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- PLACE Mathematics: Fractions
- PLACE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- PLACE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- PLACE Mathematics: Measurements & Conversions
- PLACE Mathematics: Logic
- PLACE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning
- PLACE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- PLACE Mathematics: Matrices & Determinants
- PLACE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Linear Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Inequalities
- PLACE Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems
- PLACE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Polynomials
- PLACE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- PLACE Mathematics: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Continuity of Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Limits
- PLACE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- PLACE Mathematics: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- PLACE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- PLACE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- PLACE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- PLACE Mathematics: Integration & Integration Techniques
- PLACE Mathematics: Integration Applications
- PLACE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- PLACE Mathematics: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- PLACE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- PLACE Mathematics: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- PLACE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- PLACE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- PLACE Mathematics: Circular Arcs & Circles
- PLACE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- PLACE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- PLACE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- PLACE Mathematics: Using Trigonometric Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- PLACE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- PLACE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- PLACE Mathematics: Graph Theory
- PLACE Mathematics: Set Theory
- PLACE Mathematics: Overview of Statistics
- PLACE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- PLACE Mathematics: Tables & Plots
- PLACE Mathematics: Probability
- PLACE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- PLACE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- PLACE Mathematics: Sampling
- PLACE Mathematics: Hypothesis Testing
- PLACE Mathematics: Regression & Correlation
- PLACE Mathematics Flashcards