About This Chapter
PLACE Mathematics: Linear Equations - Chapter Summary
Students interested in taking the Program for Licensing Assessment for Colorado Educators (PLACE) Mathematics for certification will benefit from the lesson videos in this chapter on linear equations. In these videos, expert instructors describe essential concepts, including the ways to simplify or solve for linear equations and methods for graphing linear equations. After watching the lessons in this chapter you should be prepared for questions on:
- The standard form of linear equations
- Applying the slope and intercepts of a line
- Graphing undefined slopes
- Using the point-slope formula
- One-step equations
- Solving equations using the addition and multiplication principles
- Solving for equations with infinite or no solutions
- Multiple-stepped equations
In addition to these videos, this chapter also has lesson worksheets and quizzes to help you fortify material you have mastered and find topics you may want to study before taking the PLACE Mathematics. To aid in this review, the lessons have timelines that can take you directly to key topics in the videos, and transcripts that cover the video materials in an easy-to-read written format.
PLACE Mathematics: Linear Equations Objectives
PLACE Mathematics is the certification exam for math teachers in the state of Colorado. The exam covers five areas of study, including functions and relations in mathematics, which is where you'll be tested on your understanding of linear functions. Test takers are given four and a half hours to complete this multiple-choice, paper-based exam.
1. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
2. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
3. How to Find and Apply the Intercepts of a Line
How can you take an equation of a line and find out where it will cross the x- or y-axis? In this lesson, we'll define x-intercepts and y-intercepts and learn how to find them.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
6. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
7. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
8. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
9. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
10. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
11. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- PLACE Mathematics: Fractions
- PLACE Mathematics: Decimals & Percents
- PLACE Mathematics: Ratios & Proportions
- PLACE Mathematics: Measurements & Conversions
- PLACE Mathematics: Logic
- PLACE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning
- PLACE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- PLACE Mathematics: Matrices & Determinants
- PLACE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Inequalities
- PLACE Mathematics: Absolute Value Problems
- PLACE Mathematics: Quadratic Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Polynomials
- PLACE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- PLACE Mathematics: Systems of Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- PLACE Mathematics: Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Continuity of Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Limits
- PLACE Mathematics: Rate of Change
- PLACE Mathematics: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- PLACE Mathematics: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- PLACE Mathematics: Applications of Derivatives
- PLACE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- PLACE Mathematics: Integration & Integration Techniques
- PLACE Mathematics: Integration Applications
- PLACE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- PLACE Mathematics: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- PLACE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- PLACE Mathematics: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- PLACE Mathematics: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- PLACE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals
- PLACE Mathematics: Circular Arcs & Circles
- PLACE Mathematics: Conic Sections
- PLACE Mathematics: Geometric Solids
- PLACE Mathematics: Analytical Geometry
- PLACE Mathematics: Using Trigonometric Functions
- PLACE Mathematics: Trigonometric Graphs
- PLACE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- PLACE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- PLACE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- PLACE Mathematics: Graph Theory
- PLACE Mathematics: Set Theory
- PLACE Mathematics: Overview of Statistics
- PLACE Mathematics: Summarizing Data
- PLACE Mathematics: Tables & Plots
- PLACE Mathematics: Probability
- PLACE Mathematics: Discrete Probability Distributions
- PLACE Mathematics: Continuous Probability Distributions
- PLACE Mathematics: Sampling
- PLACE Mathematics: Hypothesis Testing
- PLACE Mathematics: Regression & Correlation
- PLACE Mathematics Flashcards