About This Chapter
PLACE Physical Education: Developing Physical Activity Skills - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons ensure that you will develop an understanding of the ways in which physical education teachers instruct students in the basic movements for and rules of specific physical activities. You will have the opportunity to review instructional strategies and evaluation techniques employed by physical education teachers. Mastering this material will help you answer PLACE Physical Education exam questions related to:
- Identifying instructional, organizational and safety principles and techniques used in elementary level sports programs
- Describing factors impacting rhythmic movement
- Outlining methods to instill lifelong sports skills
- Detailing techniques used to help students develop motor skills for:
- Floor hockey
- Racquet sports
- Track and field
After your initial review, complete the multiple-choice quizzes to assess which topics you might be having trouble. A printable transcript is available for each lesson that provides you with an easy reference tool as you prepare for the PLACE Physical Education exam.
1. Developing Sport & Game Skills in an Elementary Program
In this lesson, we discuss ways to develop both game and sports skills in an elementary school program, including advice on equipment and safety practices.
2. Influences on the Development of Rhythmic Movement
If you are trying to incorporate more rhythmic movement activities into your PE instruction, you may be interested in what influences development of this movement in students. This lesson discusses some of the factors.
3. Developing Creative Movement & Dance Skills
In this lesson we discuss ways to develop creative movements and dance skills. We also elaborate on the nascent field of dance therapy and some systems used to improve these abilities. We also touch on safety practices to follow.
4. How to Develop Gymnastics Skills
In this lesson we examine different ways to develop both women's and men's gymnastic skills. We will also discuss the crucial role diet and nutrition play in attaining these said skills.
5. Track & Field Skills & Techniques
This lesson will review many of the techniques used in the track and field world to improve athletic performance. The techniques include ways to enhance breathing, sleep, and mental toughness. The lesson also includes physical training methods.
6. Swimming Skills & Biomechanics
Whether you are new to swimming or have a lot of experience, there is always something else to learn about the sport. This lesson contains progressions for beginning through intermediate skill levels for both sports.
7. Developing Racquet Sport Skills
In this lesson we review skills, techniques, equipment, activities, and safety practices for developing racquet sport skills. Racquet sports include six major games, which are badminton, pickleball, racquetball, squash, table tennis, and tennis.
8. Volleyball Skills
You may have played volleyball at the last church social, but if you want to be more competitive at the sport you will need to learn and practice the five basic volleyball shots. This lesson describes the shots you will need to know to be the king of the court.
9. Basketball Skills, Activities & Safety
Who hasn't been impressed by basketball greats like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? In this lesson, we'll define the different offensive and defensive basketball skills and highlight activities to improve them, as well as review safety practices. We'll also delve into the mental side of the sport.
10. Basic Soccer Skills
Successful soccer players must master a number of basic skills, including dribbling, kicking, and trapping the ball. In this lesson, you'll learn how to effectively control and move a soccer ball around the field, as well as the techniques involved in defending the goal.
11. How to Develop Football Skills
In this lesson we encompass the various methods for developing football skills. We also discuss the ever-changing role of injury and concussion prevention that is occurring along with an overview of crucial nutrition.
12. Basic Softball Skills
First time playing softball? Don't really know what you've gotten yourself into? No worries! This lesson describes the basic skills you will need to play the game.
13. Fundamental Floor Hockey Skills
To the everyday viewer, floor hockey is entertaining and full of action. However, there's a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to participating in this game. Many key fundamental skills come into play to safely and successfully compete.
14. Developing Lifelong Sports Skills
You want to encourage students to develop sports skills that will last them a lifetime. What are the principles, techniques and organizational strategies that will help you do that? This lesson fills you in and gives you some ideas to promote lifelong sports skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE Physical Education: Physical Growth & Development
- PLACE Physical Education: Psychological Aspects of Physical Education
- PLACE Physical Education: Cognitive, Social & Emotional Development
- PLACE Physical Education: Stress & Relationships During Adolescence
- PLACE Physical Education: Body Systems
- PLACE Physical Education: Physical Fitness
- PLACE Physical Education: Motor Skill Acquisition
- PLACE Physical Education: Program Development & Implementation
- PLACE Physical Education: Creating Safe Physical Education Environments
- PLACE Physical Education Flashcards