About This Chapter
PLACE Physical Education: Physical Fitness - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide you with the opportunity to get a better sense of what physical fitness is and ways in which it can be achieved. Review of this material can prepare you to answer questions found in an entire physical fitness section of the PLACE Physical Education exam. After you have reviewed these lessons, you should feel comfortable with test questions on the following:
- The components of physical fitness
- Goal-setting in physical fitness
- How and why fitness testing is used
- Safe and effective practices for various fitness exercises
- The benefits of physical activity for the mind and body
- Different training and conditioning principles
- The importance of stretching and flexibility
- Ways to improve body composition
- The major exercise program components
Learning this material is made easy with the offering of key term definitions and detailed examples. Use the accompanying quizzes as assessment tools to determine how prepared you are for taking the PLACE Physical Education exam by practicing answering the same type of multiple-choice questions as you'll find on the test.
1. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
2. Setting Physical Fitness Goals at Different Ages
Physical fitness plays a crucial role throughout life. From young to old, the state of our physical fitness determines the quality of our lives. Maintaining proper physical fitness at every stage of life can be accomplished by setting fitness goals.
3. Types of Fitness Testing in Schools
Schools use a variety of methods to test the fitness levels of students. This lesson will examine the benefits and drawbacks of fitness testing and will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
4. Exercise: Safety & Effectiveness
In this lesson, we'll explain the importance of exercise in a healthy life. We'll provide an overview of popular exercise regimens, like team sports, running, swimming, and cycling, which can be used alone or together.
5. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
6. Using Conditioning & Training Principles
In this lesson, we will discuss conditioning and training principles. We review some of the principles associated with these two concepts. We present training plans for running and Crossfit. Importantly, we also discuss nutrition, rest, and recovery.
7. Flexibility in Fitness: Definition, Stretches & Exercises
Flexibility is important in fitness because it allows for better performance when playing sports or exercising, and during your day-to-day activities, it makes bending, walking, and lifting easier. In this lesson, you will learn how stretching and certain types of exercises can help improve flexibility.
8. How to Improve Body Composition
In this lesson we will review ways to improve body composition. We will discuss the two major ways to change body composition which are strength training and cardiovascular training. We will also touch upon diet and safety practices.
9. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE Physical Education: Physical Growth & Development
- PLACE Physical Education: Psychological Aspects of Physical Education
- PLACE Physical Education: Cognitive, Social & Emotional Development
- PLACE Physical Education: Stress & Relationships During Adolescence
- PLACE Physical Education: Body Systems
- PLACE Physical Education: Motor Skill Acquisition
- PLACE Physical Education: Developing Physical Activity Skills
- PLACE Physical Education: Program Development & Implementation
- PLACE Physical Education: Creating Safe Physical Education Environments
- PLACE Physical Education Flashcards