About This Chapter
PLACE: Reading Assessment Techniques - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter offer a comprehensive overview of reading assessment techniques to ensure you're prepared to answer related questions on the PLACE Reading Specialist assessment. After reviewing these lessons, you'll be prepared for:
- Identifying assessment techniques for phonemic awareness
- Describing tools and techniques for phonics assessment
- Discussing effective techniques for vocabulary assessment
- Explaining the techniques used for assessing student fluency
- Listing assessment techniques for reading comprehension
- Assessing student research and study skills
Increase your readiness to take the exam by taking advantage of expert instruction from the comfort of your home. The lessons are highly detailed, providing the in-depth information you need to get the quality review of reading assessment techniques you deserve.
Objectives of the PLACE: Reading Assessment Techniques Chapter
The PLACE Reading Specialist assessment is broken into four subareas that test your comprehension of reading subjects as you prepare to teach in the Colorado classroom. Topics covered in this reading assessment techniques chapter are found in the reading assessment subarea of the exam. The exam is taken on paper and is composed of all multiple-choice questions that ask you to review a sentence, paragraph or question then choose the best of four provided answers. To pass this assessment, you must earn a score of 220 or higher.
1. Assessment Techniques for Phonemic Awareness
In this lesson, we will learn about some assessment tools for monitoring the development of phonemic awareness in Kindergarten through the second grade.
2. Phonics Assessment: Tools & Techniques
In this lesson, we will examine the components of phonics skills development and look at techniques to effectively monitor student progress in this area.
3. Effective Techniques for Vocabulary Assessment
In this lesson, we will examine various types of vocabulary assessments and discuss how teachers select words to be taught and assessed based on intended outcomes.
4. Techniques for Assessing Student Fluency
Fluency is an important component of reading, and to teach it properly, we need to know how to assess it. This lesson gives you strategies for assessing the components of fluency.
5. Assessment Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Need to assess your students' reading ability? Not quite sure where to begin? This lesson describes several techniques reading teachers can use to assess students' reading comprehension.
6. How to Assess Student Research & Study Skills
Today's teachers are tasked with ensuring that students know how to study and conduct research. This lesson will provide you with some ideas about how to assess your students' ability to ask questions, evaluate resources, and take good notes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Reading Specialist: Practice & Study Guide course
- PLACE: Foundations of a Reading Program
- PLACE: Planning the Reading Curriculum
- PLACE: Effective Reading Instruction
- PLACE: Reading Programs & Teaching Approaches
- PLACE: Types of Reading Assessments
- PLACE: Assessment Issues & Data Analysis
- PLACE: Identifying Reading Needs & Disabilities
- PLACE: Reading Instruction for Special Needs Students
- PLACE: Cultural & Language Concerns in Reading Instruction
- PLACE: Research for Reading Instruction
- PLACE: Partnerships in Reading Instruction
- PLACE: Professional Skills & Development
- PLACE: Legal Aspects of Reading Instruction
- PLACE Reading Specialist Flashcards