About This Chapter
Place Value System - Chapter Summary
This chapter fleshes out the mathematical language of the place value system. You'll review how to find place value in different kinds of numbers and be shown how to perform related mathematical actions. The topics discussed in this chapter include:
- Decimal place value
- Expanded form
- Locating place value within whole numbers
- Multiplying by powers of ten
- Rounding numbers
The practice quizzes accompanying each lesson allow you to keep tabs on your understanding topic-by-topic, with a practice final exam at the end of the chapter providing a more overall evaluation of your knowledge. You can stay organized using the dashboard feature, where you'll find a quick view of your recent activity and progress through the chapter as well as the option to ask subject experts questions on the material.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. What is Expanded Form in Math? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll review place value and find out how it's useful when writing numbers in expanded form. We'll also look at a few examples of numbers written out in expanded form.
3. Decimal Place Value to the Trillions
Really large numbers, like those in the trillions, can sometimes be confusing. In this lesson, learn about the details of decimal place value, which help us organize and recognize numbers, and find out how to name place value up to the trillions.
4. Finding Place Values in Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the location of any place value that you are given. You will also be able to identify them in any whole number.
5. How to Multiply by Powers of 10
Multiplying by powers of ten is one of the most commonly used math skills, and one of the easiest to learn. In this lesson, you will learn several tricks to help you remember this fundamental, versatile math skill.
6. Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1000, 10,000 & 100,000
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to round larger numbers like a pro. Learn what the cutoff numbers are for rounding up and down to the nearest thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards