About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding introductory management material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the types and functions of planning.
- Need an efficient way to learn about planning in organizations.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra management learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Planning in Organizations chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Planning in Organizations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What role does planning play in an organization, and what are its advantages?
- What are the different types of planning?
- How does the SWOT analysis aid in the decision-making process?
- How can I develop and use a mission statement?
1. Planning as a Function of Management
In this lesson, you will learn the role of planning as a function of management. Discover the advantages of and barriers to planning, and how it is used to achieve organizational goals.
2. Types of Planning: Strategic, Tactical, Operational & Contingency Planning
This lesson will explain the four types of planning used by managers, including strategic, tactical, operational and contingency planning. Terms, such as single-use plans, continuing plans, policy, procedure and rule, will also be defined.
3. What is a SWOT Analysis?
In the business world, as in many other places, decisions aren't made lightly. Rather, management spends a long time considering the pros and cons of every choice. This lesson will teach you about one of the key ways they do that, the SWOT analysis.
4. Company Mission Statements: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the role of a mission statement in an organization. Learn the definition of a mission statement, how they are created and how they are used.
5. What Is Process Planning in Management? - Steps & Principles
Planning processes can lead to higher productivity, higher accuracy, and faster turnaround for essential business tasks. This lesson will dig into process planning: what it is, why we should do it, and the steps to follow to plan or improve a process.
6. Systematic Management: Theory, Overview
In this lesson, you will learn what systematic management is and why it is important. You will also learn several theorists who were responsible for devising this approach to management.
7. What Are Business Goals? - Definition & Examples
Goals are used to help a business grow and achieve its objectives. They can be used to foster teamwork and help the business describe what it wants to accomplish. Setting goals is an important part of any business plan.
8. What Is a Business Disaster Recovery Plan? - Definition & Example
Do you know what will happen if a disaster strikes your business? Will your company respond in the best way to protect employees, customers, facilities and data? Read on to learn what a disaster plan is and how you can create one for your company.
9. What Is Business Continuity Planning? - Definition & Methodology
Is your business ready for a disaster? Read on to learn what business continuity planning is, why companies do it, and how to implement and manage a continuity plan for your business.
10. What Is Contingency Planning in Business? - Definition, Example & Importance
Every business is impacted by events, and a poor response to those events could, in extreme cases, result in the loss of the business. Learn what contingency planning is and why we do it, and explore the process for implementing it at your company.
11. Gantt Chart in Project Management: Definition & Examples
In this lesson we will explore the uses of Gantt charts in project management. We will learn what a Gantt chart is, a little of its history, and see an example of a simple Gantt chart in use.
12. How to Make a Gantt Chart in Word
In this lesson you will learn about Gantt charts and how they are used to manage projects. You will also learn how easy it is to create one using the Table feature in Microsoft Word.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Management: Help and Review course
- Business Management Basics
- Management Basics: Help and Review
- Classical School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Behavioral School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Contemporary and Future School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Organizational Change: Help and Review
- Organizing in Business Management: Help and Review
- Work Teams: Help and Review
- Leading in Organizations: Help and Review
- Leadership Theory: Help and Review
- Motivation in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Communication in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Controlling in Organizations: Help and Review
- Human Resources Basics: Help and Review
- Strategic Management and Managerial Decision Making: Help and Review
- Production and Quality Assurance: Help and Review
- Managing Organizational Changes
- International Management and Contemporary Issues: Help and Review
- Introduction to Small Business Management
- Theories of Business Management