About This Chapter
Planning in Organizations Overview - Chapter Summary
Have your employees complete this chapter to learn or review the purpose, functions and importance of organizational planning. These simple and expertly-taught lessons outline the fundamentals of various planning concepts, including:
- Strategic planning
- Contingency planning
- SWOT analysis
- Tactical planning
- Company mission statements
- Long-term organizational planning
The chapter can be accessed at any time, and to help your employees remember the information, we've included short quizzes throughout the chapter. Our subject-matter experts are also available to answer any questions your employees may have.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter provides a high-level overview of planning types and functions.
- Compares planning types: A lesson illustrates they main differences between several planning types that are used in organizations.
- Establishes planning skills: Employees who complete the chapter will be able use the chapter's concepts to become skilled in organizational planning.
By the end of the chapter, your employees should be able to:
- Assess the importance of planning as a management function
- Differentiate between strategic, tactical, contingency and operational planning
- Discuss the practical applications of long-term organizational planning
- Explain the purpose of SWOT analysis
- Evaluate examples of effective company mission statements
1. Planning as a Function of Management
In this lesson, you will learn the role of planning as a function of management. Discover the advantages of and barriers to planning, and how it is used to achieve organizational goals.
2. Types of Planning: Strategic, Tactical, Operational & Contingency Planning
This lesson will explain the four types of planning used by managers, including strategic, tactical, operational and contingency planning. Terms, such as single-use plans, continuing plans, policy, procedure and rule, will also be defined.
3. Practical Application: Long-Term Organizational Planning
Long-term organizational planning occurs on many different levels within a business. Each level of an organization has a specific type of plan that supports the overall vision of the company. Gain experience writing different types of plans in this practical application.
4. What is a SWOT Analysis?
In the business world, as in many other places, decisions aren't made lightly. Rather, management spends a long time considering the pros and cons of every choice. This lesson will teach you about one of the key ways they do that, the SWOT analysis.
5. Company Mission Statements: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the role of a mission statement in an organization. Learn the definition of a mission statement, how they are created and how they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Management: Skills Development & Training course
- Management Overview
- Classical School of Management Overview
- Behavioral School of Management Theory Overview
- Contemporary & Future School of Management Theory Overview
- Organizational Change Overview
- Organizing in Business Management Overview
- Work Teams Overview
- Leading in Organizations Overview
- Leadership Theory Overview
- Motivation in the Workplace Overview
- Communication in the Workplace Overview
- Controlling in Organizations Overview
- Human Resources Overview
- Strategic Management & Managerial Decision Making Overview
- Production & Quality Assurance Overview
- International Management & Contemporary Issues Overview