About This Chapter
Plant Anatomy & Morphology - Chapter Summary
These lessons present the two major plant parts, the shoot and root systems, for your review. Learn about the structure and function of leaves and the functions of the different parts of a root in a plant. Additional topics of study include the important services that flowers provide to the plants they adorn and how pollination occurs. Once you have completed these lessons, you will be able to perform the following:
- Explain how the rings in a tree occur
- Describe the two ways in which roots grow
- Outline the different types of inflorescence arrangements
- Detail the flower-pollinator relationship
For quick and simple study, take a look at the easy-to-understand text and video lessons that our professional instructors have created. Each lesson is accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz so you can test yourself on how well you have learned the material. Chapter tests and lesson quizzes also make excellent test prep resources so you can see how well you might do on an upcoming exam. If you need help with any of the lessons, get in touch with an instructor for more assistance.
1. What are the Parts of a Plant?
Ever look at a plant and wonder what each specific part is? A plant has two basic plant parts: the shoot and root systems. In this lesson, you'll learn and be able to identify each individual plant part within the shoot and root systems.
2. Structure of Plant Stems: Vascular and Ground Tissue
You can determine the age of a tree by looking at its rings. In this lesson, we will look at the basic structures of stems and explore what causes the rings in a tree trunk.
3. Structure of Leaves: The Epidermis, Palisade and Spongy Layers
Leaves may look pretty in the fall when they are changing colors, but they also provide many necessary functions for plants. In this lesson, we will explore the structures and functions of leaves.
4. Primary Root Tissue, Root Hairs and the Plant Vascular Cylinder
Roots of plants can provide support, food and water. We will look at diagrams and photos to see the different parts of roots in order to explain these different functions.
5. Root System Growth: The Root Cap, Primary Roots & Lateral Roots
It is easy to see some plants get taller, but it is important to know that plants must also have a strong support that we cannot always see. Root growth helps plants survive and can happen in two ways.
6. Flowers: Structure and Function of Male & Female Components
In this lesson, we'll look at the parts of a flower and learn their functions. These natural beauties provide indispensable services to the plants they adorn.
7. Inflorescence: Definition, Biology & Types
Flowers are arranged in a variety of ways on different plants, and there are specific names for each type of arrangement. Learn more about the different flower clusters in this lesson.
8. What Is Pollen? - Definition & Benefits
Pollen is the delivery package for plant sperm, or the plant's male reproductive cell. It moves from the male plant to the female plant through a variety of delivery mechanisms.
9. Methods of Pollination and Flower-Pollinator Relationships
Ever wonder why bees are attracted to specific flowers? We will look at why certain animals are drawn to certain plants and other methods of pollination in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 3: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Measurement & Instruments
- Principles of Physics
- Newton's Laws of Motion in Physics
- Power, Energy & Heat
- Weather & Weather Forecasting
- Principles of Chemistry
- Atomic Theory & Structure
- Ionic Theory & Chemical Reactions
- Overview of Inorganic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry & Agriculture
- Properties & Nomenclature for Organic Compounds
- Structures & Formulas of Organic Compounds
- Structures & Formulas of Alcohols
- Structures & Formulas of Acids
- Using Data & Statistics
- Principles of Agronomy
- The Plant, Fungi, & Bacteria Kingdoms
- Plant Cell Morphology
- Plant Germination & Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Biology
- UPSEE Paper 3 Flashcards