About This Chapter
Plant & Animal Dissection Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
This chapter simplifies the process of developing plant and animal dissection curriculum and lessons by providing you with access to helpful teacher resources. Lesson plans feature educational standards with which you can align your curriculum, discussion topics to share in the classroom and entertaining ideas for class or homework assignments. Topics covered in this chapter include the following:
- Fish, squid, shrimp, shark and crayfish dissection
- Frog, fetal pig, earthworm, rat and cat dissection
- Frog anatomy
- Flower, plant, seed, pickle and lima bean dissection
- Owl pellet dissection
- Sheep pluck, heart and eye dissection
- Eye, heart, pig heart and cow eye dissection
- Dissection tools
Cut down your research time by enjoying access to numerous teacher resources in one convenient location. Companion lessons and mini quizzes serve as supplemental learning materials you can use to strengthen and assess your students' plant and animal dissection knowledge.
How It Helps
- Learning objectives: Describes the understanding students should have and actions they should be able to take after completing your lessons.
- Individual or group projects: Shares projects you can give students to help them demonstrate an understanding of plant and animal dissection.
- Activities or games: Offers activity or game ideas designed to increase student engagement and encourage participation.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning plant and animal dissection lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific plant and animal dissection topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your animals and habitats class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related plant and animal dissection lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important plant and animal dissection concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant plant and animal dissection-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Fish Dissection Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will teach your students about fish dissection. They will also participate in a fascinating hands-on activity in which they will actually dissect a perch.
2. Frog Dissection Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will engage with the anatomy and physiology of a frog through discussion and the act of creating their own dissected frog out of dough. A writing assignment will allow them to go deeper into a chosen system.
3. Frog Anatomy: External & Internal
In this lesson, we'll be reviewing the major parts of frog anatomy, including the external and internal structures you would expect to see during a dissection. We'll cover both the physical structure and function of these parts.
4. Flower Dissection Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will teach your students about flower dissection. They will also participate in a fun and exciting hands-on activity that will reinforce recently learned concepts about flower dissection.
5. Plant Dissection Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, elementary students compare the anatomies of flowering plants and ferns. Students will dissect the stems, roots, leaves and spores of both plants, and then reflect on their learning.
6. Squid Dissection Lesson Plan
Dissections are very resourceful tools for learning about different animals and plants. Your students will explore the anatomy of the squid as they learn terms associated with squid and dissect one.
7. Seed Dissection Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, we'll step you through the process of dissecting seeds. Students will use scientific instruments to dissect a seed, identify parts of an embryonic plant, and compile data about seeds.
8. Owl Pellet Dissection Lesson Plan
Scientists can gather a lot of information through the dissection of owl pellets. This simple, step-by-step lesson allows you to guide students through the same process and act like scientists as they ask and answer questions about their samples.
9. Fetal Pig Dissection Lesson Plan
Fetal pigs are one of the most common and interesting animals dissected during the high school years. Your students will enjoy their experience as they learn about and dissect fetal pigs.
10. Sheep Pluck Dissection Lesson Plan
A sheep pluck is a useful way to study the lungs and its connection to the heart. Your students will learn about these organs as they learn new vocabulary and dissect a sheep pluck.
11. Earthworm Dissection Lesson Plan
This lesson plan walks high school students through an earthworm dissection. Students will observe the external and internal anatomy, identify major structures and organs, and then discuss the primary organ systems.
12. Dissection Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will define dissection and learn about eight tools used in the process. Students will read a lesson, answer discussion questions, take a quiz and complete an activity.
13. Dissections: Definition & Tools
In this lesson we'll be exploring the tools needed for dissection. We'll learn about the function of each major tool and how to use it during basic biology dissections.
14. Shrimp Dissection Lesson Plan
Shrimp are enjoyed in many ways as part of seafood. Your students will learn more about the anatomy of the shrimp they enjoy so much as they learn terms and do a shrimp dissection.
15. Eye Dissection Lesson Plan
We learn a lot about various parts of the body as we dissect them in animals. Your students will learn more about their eyes as they learn vocabulary and dissect the eyes of cows.
16. Rat Dissection Lesson Plan
Students get nervous and excited at the same time about dissecting animals. Your students will learn a lot about dissecting rats as they discuss the structures and procedure, complete a rat dissection and make comparisons to the human body.
17. Heart Dissection Lesson Plan
There are so many details to the heart. Your students will enjoy their learning experience as they learn new terms associated with dissection, dissect a calf heart and draw their findings on a heart diagram.
18. Pickle Dissection Lesson Plan
This lesson plan outlines all you need to teach students how to dissect using a pickle. We'll walk you through the process of pickle dissection using appropriate terminology, tools, and procedures.
19. Sheep Heart Dissection Lesson Plan
We learn so much when we dissect the hearts of other animals such as a sheep. Your students will have an interesting experience as they learn about dissecting and then actually dissect a sheep heart.
20. Pig Heart Dissection Lesson Plan
Pig hearts are similar to other mammals, and we learn a lot from dissecting them. Your students will embrace their learning experience as they learn more about the pig heart and how it compares to other mammalian hearts.
21. Cow Eye Dissection Lab Lesson Plan
Allowing biology students a chance to see what they're learning about close up is a great way for them to learn. This lesson plan gives easy-to-follow directions for dissecting a cow eye for you to use in your classroom.
22. Lima Bean Dissection Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to guide your class' dissection of a lima bean. This simple lab experience allows students to do all the work, identifying parts of the bean and discussing its life and growth cycles.
23. Sheep Eye Dissection Lesson Plan
Dissections are a tool we use to learn more about our bodies. Your students will learn more about their eyes as they dissect and explore sheep eyes. They will compare them to the human eye.
24. Cat Dissection Lesson Plan
Cat dissections have taken place over many years. Your students will have fun dissecting a cat and learning about the internal structures and how they are similar to humans' internal structures.
25. Shark Dissection Lesson Plan
Sharks are very intimidating creatures. Your students will be fascinated as they learn more about sharks by learning new vocabulary and by dissecting a dogfish shark.
26. Crayfish Dissection Lesson Plan
Crayfish are easily studied crustaceans. Your students will enjoy their learning experience as they learn about crayfish and then dissect one to explore the external and internal structures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Animals & Habitats Lesson Plans course
- Farm Animals Lesson Plans & Activities
- Whales & Dolphins Lesson Plans
- Ocean Animals Lesson Plans
- Animals & Life Cycles Lesson Plans
- Arctic & Antarctic Animals Lesson Plans
- Forest Animals Lesson Plans
- Grasslands Animal Facts Lesson Plans
- Rainforest Animal Facts Lesson Plans
- Animal Movement Lesson Plans & Resources
- Zoos & Animal Care Lesson Plans