About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life science work.
- Identify the plant biology and structure concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Middle School Life Science Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about plant biology and structure and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding vascular and non-vascular plants, nitrogen fixation, pollination or any other plant biology and structure topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning about science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their plant biology and structure unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school life science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about plant biology and structure simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about plant biology and structure on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discover how to classify vascular and non-vascular plants
- Distinguish between dicot and monocot plants
- Study leaf structure and function
- Explain how roots and stems help to maintain the life of plants
- Understand the process of nitrogen fixation
- Learn about the male and female components of flowers
- Describe how animals and wind pollinate plants and flowers
1. Classification of Vascular, Nonvascular, Monocot & Dicot Plants
Plants may not seem like the most interesting things around, but they are definitely useful. In this lesson, we will explore the basic classification of plants and the unique characteristics of each group.
2. Structure of Leaves: The Epidermis, Palisade and Spongy Layers
Leaves may look pretty in the fall when they are changing colors, but they also provide many necessary functions for plants. In this lesson, we will explore the structures and functions of leaves.
3. Nitrogen Fixation: Significance to Plants and Humans
Almost 80% of our atmosphere is nitrogen, but we can't use it. We will look at how this unusable nitrogen is converted into a form we can use and why nitrogen is important to plants and humans.
4. Flowers: Structure and Function of Male & Female Components
In this lesson, we'll look at the parts of a flower and learn their functions. These natural beauties provide indispensable services to the plants they adorn.
5. Methods of Pollination and Flower-Pollinator Relationships
Ever wonder why bees are attracted to specific flowers? We will look at why certain animals are drawn to certain plants and other methods of pollination in this lesson.
6. Calyx in Flowers: Definition & Form
If you look closely at a flower, you will see that it is composed of many parts. One of these crucial parts is called the calyx. In this lesson, we will learn the definition of a calyx and how it functions in the life of a flower.
7. What is Granum? - Definition & Function
Deep inside the chloroplasts of plant cells we find granum, or the stacks of membranes that play an important role in photosynthesis. In this lesson, we'll do a quick review of plant cells before exploring the structure and function of granum.
8. What is Seed Germination? - Definition, Process, Steps & Factors
This lesson is about seed germination, the process of seeds growing into plants. In this lesson, we'll go over the steps of germination, and what factors influence how seeds germinate.
9. Phylum Pteridophyta: Characteristics, Classification & Life Cycle
In this lesson, we'll discover the characteristics, classification, and life cycle of the group Pteridophyta, which includes plant species like ferns and horsetails.
10. Adventitious Buds: Definition & Examples
How do plants grow their branches and leaves? What happens if the areas of growth become damaged? Does the plant just die? The answer is...adventitious buds!
11. Albinism in Plants: Characteristics & Causes
Albinism, or a lack of pigment, causes characteristic paleness or whiteness in many organisms. In this lesson, we'll discuss albinism in plants, including a few major characteristics and causes.
12. Application of Allelopathy in Agriculture & Forestry
In this lesson, we'll be exploring the practice of allelopathy in agriculture and forestry. Here, we'll learn what allelopathy is and how it can be used to help human production of crops.
13. What is Allicin? - Definition, Chemical Formula & Properties
In this lesson, our primary focal point will be on an organosulfur compound called allicin. Our main topics of discussion will include its definition and structure, chemical formula, and properties the compound exhibits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Tutoring Solution
- The Parts of Cells: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Tutoring Solution
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Types of Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Changing Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Invertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Tutoring Solution
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Tutoring Solution
- The Cardiovascular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Blood Vessels: Tutoring Solution
- The Digestive System: Tutoring Solution
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- The Muscular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Tutoring Solution
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Tutoring Solution
- Health Issues & Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Tutoring Solution
- Environmental Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Resources: Tutoring Solution