About This Chapter
Plant Disease & Defenses - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons on plant disease and defenses. There are informative discussions about types of plant diseases, plant adaptations, and more. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Identify types of plant diseases
- Understand common causes of plant diseases
- Explain how plants defend against pathogens and herbivores
- Discuss plant adaptations and responses to environmental stimuli and stress
We use brief and informative video lessons, which helps you to easily understand the topics presented. Our expert instructors use an engaging teaching style with plenty of examples. The video timelines let you navigate the videos and jump to topics in order of your preference. Each lesson includes a short multiple-choice quiz to test your knowledge. Quizzes have links back to specific topics in the video.
1. Plant Diseases: Types, Identification & Tests
In this lesson we'll discuss how to identify different types of plant diseases. We'll look at signs and symptoms of different diseases and learn what resources to use to identify the cause of the disease.
2. Common Causes of Plant Diseases
Read this lesson and you'll learn that plants can get sick just like we do. You'll see how viral, bacterial, and fungal infections can affect plants and even kill them.
3. How Plants Defend Against Pathogens & Herbivores
We have many ways by which to defend ourselves against enemies. Plants also have quite a few ways in which they fight off herbivores and pathogens, some of which this lesson discusses.
4. Environmental Stimuli & Stress: Plant Adaptations & Responses
Plants get stressed out about a lot of stuff, like floods, droughts, high heat, and cold. And they have ways in which they deal with these kinds of stress. This lesson gives some examples of how this occurs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Mathematics in Science
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Cell Structure & Differentiation
- Understanding Cell Division
- Understanding Cell Transportation
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Structure & Function of the Digestive System
- The Human Circulatory System
- Non-Communicable Diseases Overview
- Communicable Disease Overview
- Disease Defense, Prevention & Treatment
- Plant Tissues & Organs
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Human Nervous System Overview
- Hormones in the Endocrine & Urinary Systems
- Hormones & Reproduction
- Plant Hormones
- Sexual & Asexual Reproduction
- DNA Structure & Genomes
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetics Disorders
- Genetic Variation & Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- Theories of Biology
- Evidence Supporting Evolution
- Classification of Living Organisms
- Ecology & Biodiversity
- Trophic Levels & Biomass Energy
- Nutrient Cycles in an Ecosystem
- Human Impacts on Biodiversity & Ecosystems
- Food Production & Sustainability
- GCSE Biology Flashcards