About This Chapter
Plants & Fungi Structures & Functions - Chapter Summary
Use these short, engaging and mobile-device-friendly lesson videos to study the structures and functions of plants and fungi. Each lesson is taught by one of our expert instructors, who will help you review:
- Different cell structures of plants
- Examples and characteristics of nonvascular plants
- Types and characteristics of vascular plants
- Characteristics and types of fungi
- Properties of angiosperms
- Functions and structures of the stomata
After each lesson video, read its lesson transcript to reinforce your retention of the information presented. Then, take the lesson's quiz to test your understanding of the material. When you discover a topic you don't understand, use the video tags to go back to and review the sections of the lessons that explained them, or ask our instructors for assistance using the teacher tabs of the lessons.
1. Plant Cell Structures: The Cell Wall and Central Vacuole
In this lesson, we'll talk about some of the things that make plant cells so different from our cells. In addition to being mean, green photosynthesizing machines, plant cells have cell walls and central vacuoles to make them unique!
2. Nonvascular Plants: Examples, Definition & Characteristics
This lesson will explore the world of a small and simple type of plant known as a nonvascular plant. We'll also discuss types of nonvascular plants and their importance in the environment.
3. Vascular Plants: Examples, Types & Characteristics
This lesson will explore the characteristics of a large group of plants known as vascular plants. The lesson will also focus on the different types of vascular plants and unique examples.
4. What are Fungi? - Types and Characteristics
In this lesson, we will examine the group of organisms known as the fungi. This group includes the familiar organisms mushrooms, yeasts and molds. We will look at several major characteristics of fungi, as well as a few disease-causing fungi.
5. The Diversity of Fungi
The Fungi Kingdom is unique and quite diverse. In this video lesson, you'll learn about the different groups of fungi and see how fungi are much more than just mushrooms and molds!
6. Angiosperms: Characteristics, Definition & Examples
Flowering plants are also known as angiosperms. In this lesson, we will explore this vast group of plants to learn what sets them apart from other types of plants and how they survive.
7. Stomata of Plants: Function, Definition & Structure
Did you know that plants 'breathe' through their leaves? Tiny openings called stomata allow plants to exchange gases necessary for cellular processes, such as photosynthesis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Middle Grades General Science (204): Practice & Study Guide course
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- The History and Nature of Science
- Principles and Procedures of Scientific Inquiry
- Using Math in Science
- Introduction to Matter
- Organization of Matter
- Atomic Structure & Nuclear Chemistry
- Chemical Bonds & Reactions
- The Periodic Table
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Simple Compounds & Chemical Formulas
- Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- Rates of Reaction
- Work, Energy, & Power in Physics
- Electricity, Potential & Capacitance in Physics
- Newton's Laws & Gravity
- Understanding Fluids in Physics
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Overview of Cell Structure & Function
- Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA
- Processes & Steps of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Evolution: Theories and Principles
- Classification of Organisms
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- Understanding Ecosystems
- Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- Minerals and Rocks
- Weathering and Erosion
- The Hydrosphere
- Coastal Features & Adaptation
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- The Solar System and Universe
- NMTA Middle Grades General Science Flashcards