About This Chapter
Plant Morphology - Chapter Summary
While going through these lessons, you will deepen your understanding of plant morphology. You will discuss topics like plants characterized by 2-seed leaves and flowering plants found in many backyards. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Identify each part of a plant
- Explain the functions of plant roots
- List different parts of a plant stem
- Describe the structure and arrangement of leaves
- Discuss types of angiosperm families
- Explain why monocots are important
- Recognize a dicot
These brief lessons can help you quickly get up to speed on plant morphology. You can study all the lessons or only the topics you need to review. You can use the Dashboard to track completed lessons and quiz results.
1. What are the Parts of a Plant?
Ever look at a plant and wonder what each specific part is? A plant has two basic plant parts: the shoot and root systems. In this lesson, you'll learn and be able to identify each individual plant part within the shoot and root systems.
2. Primary Root Tissue, Root Hairs and the Plant Vascular Cylinder
Roots of plants can provide support, food and water. We will look at diagrams and photos to see the different parts of roots in order to explain these different functions.
3. Plant Stem: Function, Types & Parts
Have you ever wondered how a plant stays upright without falling over? In this lesson you will learn the different parts of a plant stem. In addition, you will learn the function of the plant stem. Test your knowledge at the end with a quiz.
4. Types of Leaves: Structure & Arrangement
In this lesson, we'll learn about the two major types of leaves and the properties and structures that differentiate them from one another. We'll also identify the leaves found on some common trees and plants.
5. Angiosperm Families: Types & Descriptions
Angiosperms are a large, diverse group of plants. This lesson will hone in on a few families that can be found within the angiosperms, which are flowering plants.
6. Monocot: Definition, Function & Examples
Monocots are one of the two major types of flowering plants. Find out why these plants are important, and see some common examples, including plants you can find in your own backyard.
7. Dicot: Cross Section, Definition & Plant Examples
Dicots are one of the two major types of flowering plants and are characterized by having 2-seed leaves, or cotyledons. In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify a dicot and explore some common examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards