About This Chapter
Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition - Chapter Summary
This chapter enables you to quickly and easily boost your knowledge of plant physiology. Explore fun lessons to gain greater insight into the mineral nutrition and mechanisms of plant growth. Topics covered in this chapter include seed germination, leaf abscission and vernalization. Upon completion, you will be able to do the following:
- List essential elements of the plant life cycle
- Discuss primary and secondary growth of plants
- Define and describe the process of seed germination
- Explain the function of apical meristem
- Exhibit knowledge of plant senescence and leaf abscission
- Describe the function of vascular cambium
- Share the definition of photoperiodicity and discuss daylight's influence on flowers
- Detail the process of vernalization
Choose any number of lessons to review based on your unique study needs and existing knowledge of plant physiology. Review the lessons in your sequence of choice, and visit them as many times as needed. If you develop questions while studying this chapter, feel free to send them to our experts via the Dashboard. Before, during or after reviewing the lessons, be sure to assess your plant physiology knowledge by taking short quizzes and the practice chapter exam.
1. Essential Elements of the Plant Life Cycle
People need essential vitamins, minerals, and proteins to live and reproduce, and plants also have a set of essential elements for similar purposes. This lesson discusses this subject.
2. Primary Growth of Plants
In this lesson, you'll learn about how a plant grows taller and how this is different from a plant growing wider. You'll also learn about the types of tissues produced during primary growth and the functions of those tissues.
3. Secondary Growth in Plants
Secondary growth allows woody plants to grow very tall and strong. Growing outward as well as upward provides structure, support, and protection to these plants that they would not otherwise have.
4. What is Seed Germination? - Definition, Process, Steps & Factors
This lesson is about seed germination, the process of seeds growing into plants. In this lesson, we'll go over the steps of germination, and what factors influence how seeds germinate.
5. Apical Meristem: Definition & Function
Land plants both tall and short need to grow vertically and form shoots that hold their leaves up to the sun and roots that push beneath the soil. This is all possible thanks to apical meristem.
6. Plant Senescence: Definition & Hormonal Regulation
In this lesson you will learn about senescence, the process of aging, in plants. In particular you'll look at the different hormones involved in the regulation of aging.
7. Leaf Abscission: Definition & Purpose
Every year we see trees drop their leaves in anticipation of winter. This actually has a specific purpose and reason. Abscission occurs in many different plants for a variety of reasons, and in this lesson, we will look at the specifics of abscission.
8. Vascular Cambium: Function & Definition
A plant's ability to undergo growth is dependent upon the cell division that occurs within its stems, roots, and leaves. Vascular cambium has a major role in this growth. Here we will investigate the definition of vascular cambium and look at its function.
9. Photoperiodicity: Short-day, Long-day and Day-Neutral Plants
Ever wonder why some plants will bloom in the spring but others in the summer? The length of daylight can influence when a flower will bloom. We will look at how the amount of sunlight regulates when plants produce flowers.
10. Vernalization: Definition & Process
Certain plants have very specific growth requirements. In this lesson you'll learn about a process called vernalization, how it works in nature and how to achieve it artificially.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards