About This Chapter
Plant Pollination & Fertilization - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on plant pollination and fertilization, engaging lessons cover subjects like flower-pollinator relations and the basic classification of plants. You will also get an understanding of how seeds germinate. After going through the lessons, you should be poised and able to do the following:
- Define and discuss the benefits of pollen
- Explain how the environment and animals are involved in pollination
- Understand why certain animals are drawn to certain plants
- Recall the plant fertilization process
- Describe the process of double fertilization in angiosperms
- Provide an explanation for the function of endosperm
- Discuss the development of seed and fruit
- List unique characteristics of each plant group
A short quiz is available to test your knowledge of each lesson, and the quizzes can be printed. The quizzes link back to specific topics, so if you get a question wrong you can quickly go back and review that particular topic. You can submit questions to our instructors if there are any areas you don't understand.
1. What Is Pollen? - Definition & Benefits
Pollen is the delivery package for plant sperm, or the plant's male reproductive cell. It moves from the male plant to the female plant through a variety of delivery mechanisms.
2. What Is Pollination in Plants? - Definition & Types
This lesson will focus on the important process of pollination in plants. The lesson will also explain the types of pollination and how the environment and animals are involved in pollination.
3. Methods of Pollination and Flower-Pollinator Relationships
Ever wonder why bees are attracted to specific flowers? We will look at why certain animals are drawn to certain plants and other methods of pollination in this lesson.
4. Plant Fertilization: Process & Definition
For you, pollen might just be a trigger for sneezing and watery eyes. But for plants, it's a vital ingredient in the reproductive process. Explore plant fertilization through this lesson, then test your knowledge of what you've learned.
5. Double Fertilization in Angiosperms: Definition & Process
You may already know that fertilization is when an egg and sperm cell fuse to create a new individual, but do you know what double fertilization is? It is a process that is unique to angiosperms, and you can learn about it in this lesson.
6. Endosperm: Definition, Function & Development
Of all the times you've eaten popcorn, how many times have you actually stopped to think about what you're eating? Popcorn is a seed in which the center of the endosperm has been turned inside out. Learn more about endosperms in this lesson.
7. Seed & Fruit Development
In this lesson we'll be learning about the development of the seeds and fruits during plant reproduction. We'll also go over parthenocarpy and how this process produces seedless fruits.
8. Classification of Vascular, Nonvascular, Monocot & Dicot Plants
Plants may not seem like the most interesting things around, but they are definitely useful. In this lesson, we will explore the basic classification of plants and the unique characteristics of each group.
9. How Seeds Germinate: Definition & Explanation
Plants function on a rather complex level when compared to other organisms. One of the ways plants reproduce is through seeds. Those seeds must germinate to grow into plants. We will look at the process of seed germination here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards