About This Chapter
Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of plant respiration and gas exchange. While going through these lessons, you will review energy transfer in cells. You will also gain an understanding of how cellular respiration creates chemical energy. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss how organic compounds are converted into ATP
- Use an equation for anaerobic respiration
- List the steps of the aerobic respiration process
- Explain the importance of the glycolysis pathway
Each lesson includes a brief quiz to ascertain how much of the content you can recall. Video timelines let you study only the topics you need to review. Make the most of the chapter by studying offline when you print the quiz in worksheet form.
1. Cellular Respiration: Energy Transfer in Cells
Watch this short video to learn the basics about converting organic compounds into ATP, also known as cellular respiration. We'll look at an overview of the process.
2. Anaerobic Respiration: Definition, Equation & Examples
Many organisms are capable of undergoing anaerobic respiration. In some cases, it's a 'backup plan' when oxygen is absent, and in other cases, they thrive that way. Here we will investigate what anaerobic respiration is, the equation and examples of it at work.
3. Aerobic Respiration: Definition, Steps, Products & Equation
Aerobic respiration is the process most living things undergo to use food energy. Here, we will investigate the definition, the steps of the process, what goes in and what comes out of the process, and the chemical formula. Get ready to breathe!
4. Glycolysis Pathway: Steps, Products & Importance
Cellular respiration creates chemical energy in the form of ATP from the food we eat and the air we breathe. In this lesson, we'll learn about the first part of this process, glycolysis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards