About This Chapter
Plant Structure & Development - Chapter Summary
Top instructors have developed engaging lessons you can access anytime to improve your understanding of plant structure and development. Discover or improve your existing knowledge of topics that include the structure of leaves, phloem, apical meristem and dicots. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- List different parts of roots and explain their functions
- Describe the structure of plant stems and leaves
- Define apical and lateral meristem and discuss primary and secondary shoot system growth
- Discuss the importance of xylem and phloem
- Explain how a plant body develops
- Understand the characteristics of monocotyledon plants
- Identify and describe characteristics of dicots
This chapter is completely flexible and customizable. Review the lessons as short videos or full transcripts, navigate them in your sequence of choice, and visit them as often as you'd like. Take short quizzes and a chapter exam to assess your comprehension of the lessons. Any questions you have about plant structure and development topics covered in this chapter can be submitted to our experts. All resources in this chapter are available 24/7 and can be accessed using any computer or mobile device with Internet service.
1. Primary Root Tissue, Root Hairs and the Plant Vascular Cylinder
Roots of plants can provide support, food and water. We will look at diagrams and photos to see the different parts of roots in order to explain these different functions.
2. Structure of Plant Stems: Vascular and Ground Tissue
You can determine the age of a tree by looking at its rings. In this lesson, we will look at the basic structures of stems and explore what causes the rings in a tree trunk.
3. Structure of Leaves: The Epidermis, Palisade and Spongy Layers
Leaves may look pretty in the fall when they are changing colors, but they also provide many necessary functions for plants. In this lesson, we will explore the structures and functions of leaves.
4. Apical Meristem & Primary Shoot System Growth
Just like humans, plants need to grow. In this lesson, you'll see how plant growth occurs at specific locations and how the height of the plant is increased.
5. Lateral Meristem & Secondary Shoot System Growth
Why do some plants experience a secondary growth? Why do some plants grow only in height but others grow in height and width? Discover the answers to these questions in this lesson.
6. Xylem: The Effect of Transpiration and Cohesion on Function
Roots absorb water and leaves release water, but how does water move up a plant? In this lesson, we will look at how this happens in vascular plants, including the importance of xylem, cohesion and transpiration in the process.
7. Phloem: The Pressure Flow Hypothesis of Food Movement
Leaves produce sugars and stems; roots and fruits use these sugars for energy. In this lesson, we will look at how these sugars move throughout vascular plants, including the importance of phloem and the pressure flow hypothesis in the process.
8. How a Plant Body Develops
View this lesson to learn how plants develop. Discover the terms that describe how a plant goes from seed to full-grown plant. Learn what goes on at the cellular level as the plant grows.
9. Monocotyledon Plants: Examples, Definition & Pictures
One way that botanists classify plants is by examining their structures. In this lesson, we are going to learn about a group of plants known as monocotyledons to gain an understanding of their characteristics.
10. Dicot: Cross Section, Definition & Plant Examples
Dicots are one of the two major types of flowering plants and are characterized by having 2-seed leaves, or cotyledons. In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify a dicot and explore some common examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST): Exam Prep course
- Understanding Cell Biology
- Tools for Studying Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Genetics & Mutations
- Ecology & Ecosystems Overview
- Natural Resources & Humans
- Biology & Technology
- Digestive System Overview
- Respiratory System Basics
- Understanding the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Basics
- Nervous System Overview
- Basics of Reproduction
- Developmental Biology
- Diversity of Animal Life
- Immunology Overview
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Plant Growth Processes
- Systematics in Biology
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Stoichiometry Measurements
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Gases in Chemistry
- Principles of Atomic Structure
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- Thermodynamics, Energy & Reactions
- Chemical & Ionic Equilibrium
- Chemical Kinetics & Electrochemistry
- Crystals & Other Solids in Chemistry
- Properties of Solutions in Chemistry
- Surface Chemistry Overview
- Understanding Elements & Periodic Table Blocks
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Coordination Chemistry & Compounds
- Understanding Metallurgy
- Organic Chemistry Compounds & Groups
- Polymer Basics
- Complex Numbers in Algebra
- Understanding Quadratic Equations
- Progressions, Series & Logarithms
- Matrices in Algebra
- Permutations & Combinations
- Probability in Math
- Fundamental Elements of Trigonometry
- Understanding Analytical Geometry
- Differential Calculus & Functions
- Integration in Calculus
- Understanding Vector Algebra
- Measurement & Experimental Design in Physics
- Principles of Mechanics
- Gravitation Principles
- Mechanics in Solids & Fluids
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Sound & Mechanical Waves
- Overview of Thermodynamics in Physics
- Understanding Principles of Electricity
- Magnetism Overview
- Understanding Ray Optics
- Modern Physics Principles
- National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) Flashcards