About This Chapter
Plant Tissue: Structure & Function - Chapter Summary
In these lessons on the structure and function of plant tissue, you will gain a clear understanding of how plants grow. Also included in this chapter are discussions on the importance of xylem and phloem. By the conclusion of the chapter, you should feel prepared to:
- Define meristematic tissue
- Discuss the function of parenchyma in plants
- Recall the location of sclerenchyma cells
- Provide examples of collenchyma cells
- Describe the function of vascular bundles in plants
- Explain how water moves up a plant
- Discuss how sugars move through vascular plants
These flexible lessons can help you easily understand the structure and function of plant tissue. You can review all the lessons in order or just the topics of your choosing. A brief quiz is available for each lesson, which allows you to make sure you understand the concepts reviewed.
1. Meristematic Tissue: Definition & Function
Have you ever wondered if a plant grows from the top or the bottom? Or how it gets bigger around? In this lesson, we'll explore the role of meristematic tissue in plant growth.
2. Parenchyma in Plants: Definition & Function
Plants contain numerous types of cells and tissues. In this lesson, you will learn about the function of a type of cell known as parenchyma that is commonly found in plants.
3. Sclerenchyma Cells: Function & Location
Plants contain a variety of cells that perform specific functions. In this lesson, you will learn about a type of cells known as sclerenchyma to gain an understanding of their function and location.
4. Collenchyma Cells: Function, Definition & Examples
Plants contain numerous types of cells. All of these cells carry out specific functions. In this lesson, you will learn about the structure and function of collenchyma cells.
5. Vascular Bundles in Plants: Function & Types
Plants need nutrients and water pumped throughout their stems, roots, and leaves. In this lesson, we will learn about the function of vascular bundles, the different types, and test your knowledge with a short quiz.
6. Xylem: The Effect of Transpiration and Cohesion on Function
Roots absorb water and leaves release water, but how does water move up a plant? In this lesson, we will look at how this happens in vascular plants, including the importance of xylem, cohesion and transpiration in the process.
7. Phloem: The Pressure Flow Hypothesis of Food Movement
Leaves produce sugars and stems; roots and fruits use these sugars for energy. In this lesson, we will look at how these sugars move throughout vascular plants, including the importance of phloem and the pressure flow hypothesis in the process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards