About This Chapter
Plants and Animals for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
When introducing elementary-aged students to lessons about plants and animals, it's a good idea to break this subject down into short but comprehensive topics that cover different aspects of these types of organisms. If you have a child or student in this age group whom you would like to help study plant and animal facts, you can have him or her read through the informative text lessons included in this chapter. Each of these lessons will help elementary school students learn different topics needed to understand the plants and animals found on our planet.
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help learning about plants and animals will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about plant and animal topics.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding different types of plants and animals
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about plant and animal topics
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning biology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about plants and animals
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover plant and animal topics that your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about important plant and animal concepts.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the basics of these kinds of organisms by completing the Plants and Animals for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Bamboo Facts: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you will learn about a very useful plant, bamboo. Bamboo is found all over the world and is used for many different reasons. Keep reading to learn more about this awesome plant.
2. What is Pollination? - Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered how all of the plants in the world got here? In this lesson, you will learn all about pollination, the amazing way that Mother Nature creates all of the beautiful plants that make up our world.
3. Egg Facts: Lesson for Kids
Did you know that millions of eggs are laid around the world every day? Come and learn about the parts of an egg, health benefits, and the different types of eggs that come from various animals.
4. Endoskeleton & Exoskeleton Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn about exoskeletons and endoskeletons. You will explore the similarities and differences of each type of skeleton as well as types of animals that have these skeletons.
5. Ocean Animal Facts: Lesson for Kids
This lesson will teach you about fascinating animals that live within Earth's ocean habitat. As we explore all levels of the ocean, we'll uncover a variety of facts about the many species that live in the sea.
6. Dinosaur Timeline: Lesson for Kids
While dinosaurs are no longer around, they certainly went through quite the journey when they roamed the earth! Come and learn about the three periods in the dinosaur timeline, as well as how dinosaurs still live on today.
7. Flying Dinosaurs: Lesson for Kids
Open a book about dinosaurs, and you're greeted with pictures of dinosaurs on the land and in the sky. But, are they all really dinosaurs? Read on to find out about those ancient reptiles in the sky.
8. Nurse Shark Facts: Lesson for Kids
If you think about a shark, one of the images that come to mind may be its big fin sticking out of the water. But did you know there are many different kinds of sharks? Learn about one shark--the nurse shark-- in this lesson.
9. Marine Mammals: Lesson for Kids
Would you be surprised to learn that in some ways a group of ocean animals have more in common with humans than they do with fish? These animals are called marine mammals, and we'll learn about them in the following lesson.
10. Dragon Lesson for Kids: History & Stories
Are dragons just creators of legends or do we have evidence that they could have really existed? In this lesson, discover the history and legends of these fascinating creators.
11. Animals that Hatch from Eggs: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn about animals that hatch from eggs and how they are different from animals that have live births. Although there are some general rules about which animal families lay eggs, there are some very interesting exceptions.
12. Moray Eel Facts: Lesson for Kids
Lurking in the rocky cracks and crevices of the ocean shoreline is a long, snake-like fish. Do you know what this fish is called? It is the moray eel. Learn about the life and unusual features of this vicious-looking predator of the sea.
13. Rainforest Leopard Facts: Lesson for Kids
What makes a rainforest leopard different from other kinds of leopards? What do rainforest leopards eat? How do they grow up? This lesson will take you along the journey of Leo the Leopard and teach you all about rainforest leopards' diets, habitats, and life cycles.
14. Indian Elephant Facts: Lesson for Kids
What's the difference between Asian, Africa, and Indian elephants? Find out about the amazing Indian elephant and why this strong, powerful animal is now endangered.
15. Tropical Fish Facts: Lesson for Kids
Meet Gabby the goldfish, just one of many types of tropical fish. In this lesson, she'll help you learn all about the bodies, habitats, and other fun facts about tropical fish!
16. Gray Fox Facts: Lesson for Kids
Gray foxes are medium-sized foxes that are found in both North and South America. This lesson will teach you about the gray fox, where these types of foxes live, what they like to eat, and some other neat facts about this animal.
17. Life Cycle of a Toad: Lesson for Kids
Toads mature in very definite stages - in fact, a baby toad looks nothing like an adult. Come and learn about the life cycle of a toad and about each of its four stages of growing up.
18. Cane Toad Facts: Lesson for Kids
Cane toads are poisonous amphibians that live in different parts of the world. Come learn about this toad, where it lives, what it eats, why you should never touch one and some other interesting facts about this amphibian.
19. Cheetah Life Cycle: Lesson for Kids
You may know a few facts about cheetahs or have seen one at the zoo, but have you ever wondered about how they grow? This lesson will take you along for the life cycle of Carrie the cheetah!
20. Shark Habitat: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn important facts about the habitat of the ocean's most dangerous predator: the shark. Sharks are found all over the world's oceans, but some prefer to call certain areas home.
21. Shark Adaptations: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you will learn about the many ways that sharks have adapted to become fearsome predators. Sharks have special senses, coloring, and body parts that allow them to hunt and keep them from being hunted.
22. Pony Facts: Lesson for Kids
Ponies aren't just cute animals that kids really enjoy. Ponies are strong, will kick to protect themselves, and have other interesting traits that you will be surprised to know. Continue reading to explore more fun facts about ponies.
23. Antelope Facts: Lesson for Kids
Antelope are a type of mammal that look a lot like deer. Have you ever wondered where they live, what they eat, or how they grow up? This lesson will introduce you to Albert the antelope and teach you all about his diet, habitat, and life cycle!
24. Lion Habitat: Lesson for Kids
Lions live in different kinds of habitats. Come learn about the habitats where they live, how these different habitats provide the same things every lion needs to survive, and why it is important to protect these habitats.
25. What do Lions Eat? - Lesson for Kids
Lions are very large, strong predators who need lots of food. In this lesson, you will learn how lions hunt for food, what they eat, and who eats first in the family.
26. Animals of Africa: Lesson for Kids
Africa is a large continent that has many different kinds of animals. This lesson will teach you about some animals that you may not have heard of, how they live and some other interesting facts about them.
27. Warthog Facts: Lesson for Kids
Warthogs are a kind of animal that is found in Africa. This lesson will teach you about warthogs, what they look like, how they live, what they eat, where you can find them, and some other facts about these interesting animals.
28. Monkey Habitat Facts: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn all about a monkey's habitat. You will get to explore the Old World monkeys and New World monkeys as well as learn a few adaptations that allow them to survive in their habitats.
29. Pygmy Marmoset Facts: Lesson for Kids
Pygmy marmosets are very small monkeys. This lesson will teach you about pygmy marmosets, how big they are, where they live, what they like to eat, and some other cool facts about this tiny monkey.
30. Bush Baby Facts: Lesson for Kids
Bush babies are one of the world's smallest primates. Come learn about bush babies, what they look like, where you can find them, what they like to eat, how they got their name and some other cool facts about these tiny animals.
31. Where do Penguins Live? - Lesson for Kids
Penguins are really cute and star in lots of movies, from 'Happy Feet' to 'Madagascar'! But where do penguins really live? This lesson will teach you all about the habitats of different kinds of penguins.
32. Why are Polar Bears Endangered? - Lesson for Kids
Can you think of giant bears with white fur that live in the cold Arctic? These bears are called polar bears. Unfortunately, polar bears are an endangered species. Learn some of the different causes of polar bear endangerment in this lesson.
33. Indian Animal Facts: Lesson for Kids
India is a country on the continent of Asia that has many interesting animals. Come learn about some of these animals, what they look like, what they eat, how they live and some other cool facts about them.
34. What do Spiders Eat? - Lesson for Kids
Spiders are very interesting creatures that have developed amazing ways of hunting and catching their food. In this lesson, you'll learn what spiders eat and how they catch and eat their food.
35. Types of Spiders: Lesson for Kids
There are tens of thousands of different species of spiders in the world. Come and learn about poisonous spiders, non-poisonous spiders and even spiders that have broken a world record!
36. Life Cycle of a Spider: Lesson for Kids
Like all living things, spiders go through a life cycle. This lesson will teach you about the three stages of a spider's life cycle from egg through adulthood and some neat facts about each stage.
37. Spider Web Facts: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you will learn facts about one of the most amazing things in nature: the spider web. Read on to find out how spiders weave their webs and what exactly they look like.
38. Oyster Facts: Lesson for Kids
You might have seen oysters on a food menu, but have you ever wondered what kind of animal they are? In this lesson, you'll learn all about the diet, habitat, and life cycle of oysters.
39. What do Tigers Eat? - Lesson for Kids
Tigers are the biggest cats on the planet, and they prefer to eat other animals. In this lesson, we'll learn what types of animals tigers eat, how they hunt for their prey, and what kind of food they eat if animals aren't available.
40. What do Whales Eat? - Lesson for Kids
The ocean contains various whales with different diets. In this lesson, you will learn what causes differences in whales' diets, and the types of creatures that are included in their diets.
41. Fin Whale Facts: Lesson for Kids
Fin whales are the second largest animal on the planet. This lesson will teach you about fin whales, how big they are, what they eat, where they live, how old they can get, and some other cool facts about this ocean animal.
42. Black Wolf Facts: Lesson for Kids
The beauty and intelligence of the black wolf has captivated people for ages. In this lesson, discover for yourself some interesting facts about the black wolf!
43. Zoo Facts: Lesson for Kids
You have probably enjoyed visiting a zoo and looking at the animals. But zoos do more than just keep different kinds of animals. Come learn about zoos and some of the important work they do for animals all over the world.
44. Dinosaur Bones: Lesson for Kids
Let's start digging up facts about dinosaur bones and their skeletons. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of bones that make up a dinosaur's skeleton and what their jobs were in a dinosaur's body.
45. Plant Anatomy Lesson for Kids
Plant anatomy is the study of plant parts and how they work. In this lesson, you'll learn about the six main parts of a plant and their main purposes.
46. External Spider Anatomy Lesson for Kids
This lesson looks at the anatomy of spiders and how they are unique from other animals on Earth. Spiders are truly fascinating creatures that you will appreciate a little more after learning about their anatomy.
47. Ant Anatomy Lesson for Kids
Do you know what an ant looks like up close? Because they are so small, you might have trouble really seeing what they look like. In this lesson, we're going to learn about the different body parts of an ant and what these parts do.
48. Mole Animal Facts: Lesson for Kids
Moles are animals that live most of their lives underground. This lesson will teach you about moles, what they look like, where they live, what they eat, and some other cool facts about these expert diggers.
49. How do Cows Make Milk? - Lesson for Kids
In the US, if someone is drinking a glass of milk, that milk probably came from a cow. This lesson will teach you about dairy cows, what they need, and how they make the milk you drink before it ever gets to your grocery store.
50. Animal Lesson for Kids: Definition & Characteristics
You have seen animals before, but have you ever wondered what makes something an animal? Are humans animals? This lesson will teach you about the definition and characteristics of animals, as well as some types of animals.
51. Spinner Dolphin Facts: Lesson for Kids
Spinner dolphins are a small kind of dolphin. This lesson will teach you about spinner dolphins, how they got their name, where they live, what they like to eat and some other cool facts about them.
52. How Do Dolphins Breathe? - Lesson for Kids
Dolphins are animals that spend their lives underwater. It may come as a surprise that dolphins are not able to breathe underwater, since they don't have gills. How do dolphins breathe? Find out more in this lesson.
53. The History of Dogs: Lesson for Kids
Did you know that dogs are related to wolves? Learn where dogs come from, and how selective breeding over thousands of years made dogs gentle, obedient, and fun to have as pets.
54. White Lion Facts: Lesson for Kids
Imagine a lion prowling through the Africa savanna on the hunt for its next meal. Now imagine this prowling lion as a white lion! Yes, white lions really do exist. In this lesson, discover these fascinating and majestic creatures for yourself.
55. Asiatic Lion: Lesson for Kids
Asiatic lions are a small group of lions that live in India. Come learn about these lions, what kind of habitat they live in, what they like to eat, why they need to be protected and some other cool facts about them.
56. How Do Dolphins Communicate? - Lesson for Kids
What can a click or a whistle communicate? If you're a dolphin, these sounds can share an incredible amount of information. Learn how dolphins communicate with sounds and other behaviors in this lesson.
57. Invertebrates vs. Vertebrates: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, learn what makes a vertebrate animal different from an invertebrate animal. In addition to definitions, examples of each animal type are provided.
58. Kangaroo Paw Facts: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll take a trip to Australia to learn about an unusual plant that grows there. Read on to find out why this plant is called the kangaroo paw, what it looks like, and other interesting facts.
59. Aster Flowers: Lesson for Kids
There are many different types of flowers, and one of the most beautiful is the aster. In this lesson, learn about the characteristics of asters, including where they grow, and discover some cool facts about these flowers.
60. Binary Fission: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever had so much homework to do that you wished you could clone yourself? Bacteria and other simple organisms use a process called binary fission to clone themselves. Learn what binary fission is and the steps of the process in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology for Kids course
- Animals for Elementary School
- Biology Basics for Elementary School
- Fruit & Vegetable Facts for Elementary School
- Parts of the Human Body for Elementary School
- Cell Biology for Elementary School
- Health for Elementary School
- Diseases & Illnesses for Elementary School
- Early Humans for Elementary School
- Ecosystems for Elementary School