About This Chapter
Pneumonia & Pneumothorax - Chapter Summary
Pneumonia and pneumothorax can cause people to become serious ill, and in worse case scenarios death. Use the short lessons of this chapter to test your understanding of what these diseases are, how they can be prevented and how infected people can recover. These lessons are mobile device compatible and come with short quiz/worksheet assessments which you can use to test your understanding of the material covered in them. After completing these lessons and assessments, you should know more about:
- Differences between pneumonia and bronchitis
- How bacterial and viral pneumonia differ
- What walking pneumonia is
- How pneumonia is transferred
- How pneumonia can be prevented
- What recovering from pneumonia and related complications involves
- What pneumothorax is, types and causes
- What the symptoms and treatments for pneumothorax are
- Differences between hemothorax and pneumothorax
1. Pneumonia vs. Bronchitis
Do you want to know the key difference between pneumonia and bronchitis? This lesson defines both words and describes how they are fundamentally different.
2. Bacterial vs. Viral Pneumonia
Have you heard of pneumonia? Did you know it could be caused by many different things? Two of them are bacteria and viruses. Find out what kinds may lead to pneumonia thanks to this lesson.
3. Pneumonia vs. Walking Pneumonia
We are going to gain an understanding of the basics of pneumonia such as the causes, symptoms, and treatment. Then a description of walking pneumonia will be given for comparison.
4. What is Walking Pneumonia? - Symptoms & Treatment
The term Walking Pneumonia seems like a contradiction, but it is indeed an actual malady! In this lesson you will learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of walking pneumonia.
5. Pneumonia: Transmission & Prevention
Pneumonia can be a deadly disorder. This is why you need to know how it is spread and how to protect yourself via numerous preventative strategies. This lesson covers how pneumonia develops and what you can do to avoid contracting pneumonia.
6. Pneumonia: Recovery & Complications
Pneumonia is an infection in the lungs that comes in many forms. Recovery depends on an individual's overall health and the severity of their case. We'll learn about recovery and possible complications in this lesson.
7. What is Pneumothorax? - Definition & Causes
Have you ever heard of a collapsed lung? It turns out there is more than one kind. This lesson focuses on the kind that is called pneumothorax as well as its causes.
8. Pneumothorax: Types & Causes
There are many ways to classify a pneumothorax. This lesson teaches you about two major classifications, three large groupings, and their subtypes and causes.
9. Pneumothorax: Symptoms & Treatment
Pneumothorax can be almost nothing at all, or an extremely dangerous condition. Thus, it's important to recognize its signs and symptoms as well as potential treatment options.
10. Treating Pneumothorax: Surgery & Complications
Treatment for pneumothorax sometimes requires surgical treatment. When this is needed, there can be complications from the surgical procedure. Let's take a look at these complications and how to treat them.
11. Hemothorax vs. Pneumothorax
Hemothorax and pneumothorax have the same suffix, cause similar problems, and may even be caused by similar things, but they are not the same. Learn the difference between the two conditions in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests