About This Chapter
Poison & Chemical Exposure - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors examine the effects of poison and chemical exposure. As you progress through this collection of simple and engaging lessons, you'll become familiar with the symptoms and treatments of several diseases, including hepatotoxicity, podoconiosis and dioxin poisoning. To help you reinforce your understanding of these topics, we've included short quizzes throughout the chapter. The online format of the chapter allows you to study at any time that fits your schedule. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Assess the health effects of contaminated water
- Describe the effects of dioxin poisoning
- Explain the protocols, benefits and side effects of chelation therapy
- Evaluate the symptoms and treatments of acute toxicity, chloracne, hepatotoxicity and podoconiosis
- Identify the drugs/medications that can lead to hepatotoxicity
1. Contaminated Water: Health Effects & Diseases
This lesson is going to define 'contaminated water' and point out numerous examples of polluting substances that might be found in such water. You'll also learn about the effects these contaminants may have on your health.
2. Dioxin Poisoning: Symptoms, Toxicity, Exposure & Effects
Dioxins are toxic organic compounds that are byproducts of industrial processes and incineration. They are found in the environment and in food. This lesson is about dioxin, its exposure, toxicity, and effects.
3. What is Chelation Therapy? - Definition & Protocols
Chelation therapy is the administration of chelating agents, which are substances that remove heavy metals and other toxins from the body. This lesson is about chelation therapy, its definition, and the protocols used.
4. Benefits & Side Effects of Chelation Therapy
In this lesson we'll learn about the benefits of chelation therapy for heavy metal poisoning, such as lead and mercury. We'll also look at potential side effects and the controversial use of chelation therapy in heart disease.
5. What is Acute Toxicity? - Symptoms & Examples
This lesson is going to define acute toxicity. Then you'll learn about the numerous kinds of signs and symptoms that may develop with an acute toxicity along with a few examples.
6. What is Chloracne? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Chloracne is a skin condition that is caused by exposure to specific environmental pollutants. Learn more about the definition, symptoms, and treatment for chloracne by reading this lesson!
7. Hepatotoxicity: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
What is hepatotoxicity? In this lesson, we will learn what hepatotoxicity is along with the symptoms that are associated with it. We will also learn how hepatotoxicity is treated.
8. Which Drugs or Medications Can Lead to Hepatotoxicity?
Certain medications can lead to liver damage called hepatotoxicity. In this lesson, we will learn about some of the drugs and medications that can lead to hepatotoxicity.
9. Podoconiosis: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Podoconiosis is a disease that affects the lower extremities and can cause disfigurement of the feet, ankles, and legs. This lesson will provide the reader with information pertaining to the definition, symptoms, and treatment of podoconiosis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Understanding Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Bacterial & Viral Tropical Diseases
- Fungal Tropical Infections
- Helminth Infections
- Protozoan Infections