About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Trigonometry Homeschool Curriculum course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about polar coordinates. There is no faster or easier way to learn about polar coordinates. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about conic sections and complex numbers in polar form, graphing functions and parametric equations.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Polar Coordinates unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Polar Coordinates Unit Objectives:
- Learn to graph a function with polar coordinates.
- Convert a complex number to polar form.
- Evaluate a parametric equation.
- Convert a parametric form to a rectangular form.
- Graph a parametric equation.
- Write a parametric or polar form equation for a conic section.
1. Graphing Functions in Polar Coordinates: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any Cartesian coordinate point into a polar coordinate point. You will also learn how to plot these points.
2. Complex Numbers in Polar Form: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form easily by following the formulas you will see here. You will also learn how to find the power of a complex number.
3. Evaluating Parametric Equations: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to evaluate a parametric equation for any given parameter. Learn the steps involved and what the complete answer looks like.
4. Converting Between Parametric & Rectangular Forms
There are all kinds of ways of writing equations. Learn about parametric equations in this video lesson. Learn how you can convert between parametric equations and their equivalent rectangular equations.
5. Graphs of Parametric Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can go about graphing parametric equations. Learn the simplest way to graph parametric equations by eliminating the parameter.
6. Parametric Equations in Applied Contexts
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use parametric equations to help you solve real world problems such as the path of a moving object. Learn how to form parametric equations to model the real world.
7. Conic Sections in Polar & Parametric Forms
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to distinguish between the standard form equations for conic sections, the parametric form equations and the polar form equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Types of Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Modeling: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Coordinate Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing with Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Triangle Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Applications: Homeschool Curriculum
- Analytic Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Homeschool Curriculum