About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations chapter into five school days. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Graphing functions in polar coordinates||How to graph functions in polar coordinates and convert between polar and rectangular coordinates|
|Tuesday||Complex numbers in polar form||How to write complex numbers in polar form. Definition and application of De Moivre's theorem|
|Wednesday||Evaluating parametric equations||How to evaluate parametric equations for perimeter values|
|Thursday|| Converting between parametric and rectangular forms|
Graphs of parametric equations
| How to convert between parametric and rectangular forms of equations|
How to find and graph graph curves from parametric equations
| Friday Parametric equations in applied contexts|
Conic sections in polar and parametric forms
| How to use parametric equations in applied contexts, such as as orbits and projectiles|
How to identify conic sections that have equations in polar or parametric form
1. Graphing Functions in Polar Coordinates: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any Cartesian coordinate point into a polar coordinate point. You will also learn how to plot these points.
2. Complex Numbers in Polar Form: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form easily by following the formulas you will see here. You will also learn how to find the power of a complex number.
3. Evaluating Parametric Equations: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to evaluate a parametric equation for any given parameter. Learn the steps involved and what the complete answer looks like.
4. Converting Between Parametric & Rectangular Forms
There are all kinds of ways of writing equations. Learn about parametric equations in this video lesson. Learn how you can convert between parametric equations and their equivalent rectangular equations.
5. Graphs of Parametric Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can go about graphing parametric equations. Learn the simplest way to graph parametric equations by eliminating the parameter.
6. Parametric Equations in Applied Contexts
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use parametric equations to help you solve real world problems such as the path of a moving object. Learn how to form parametric equations to model the real world.
7. Conic Sections in Polar & Parametric Forms
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to distinguish between the standard form equations for conic sections, the parametric form equations and the polar form equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Trigonometry Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Real Numbers: Types & Properties Lesson Plans
- Working with Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Complex Numbers Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Quadratics Lesson Plans
- Working with Quadratic Functions Lesson Plans
- Coordinate Geometry Review Lesson Plans
- Functions for Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Function Operations Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions Basics Lesson Plans
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions Lesson Plans
- Using Trigonometric Functions Lesson Plans
- Triangle Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants Lesson Plans
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles Lesson Plans