About This Chapter
Polishing Business Writing Skills - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons help your employees to learn about avoiding common errors in business communication and how to use technology to expedite business writing. They can learn about topics including:
- Proofreading techniques for catching spelling and grammar errors
- Rules to prevent common faux pas in business communication
- Methods of utilizing technology to research and produce documents
These lessons average about five minutes each, and employees can watch them on their own or in group corporate training programs. Quizzes at the end of each lesson offer a chance for discussion, and the chapter exam tests employees' overall comprehension of business writing.
How It Helps
- Emphasizes proofreading:By studying these lessons, employees can learn techniques for catching errors in documents they have created.
- Prevents mistakes:Employees get an overview of common mistakes in business communication, such as sending an e-mail while angry, and learn tips for preventing these missteps.
- Utilizes technology:Employees need to be aware of how to get the most benefit from technology, including the Internet, in producing business communications.
When they've watched all these lessons, employees should be able to:
- Proofread their messages for grammar, spelling and accuracy
- Use technology to expedite business communication
- Avoid common mistakes, such as clicking 'Reply All'
1. Proofreading Your Message for Spelling, Grammar, Accuracy & Clarity
One of the final stages of completing a business message is to proofread the communication for spelling, grammar, accuracy and clarity by completing different review options. Learn how to proofread in this lesson.
2. Practical Application: Proofreading Messages for Spelling, Grammar, Accuracy & Clarity
How skilled are you with writing? Do you want to test your abilities? Here you will be given a chance to practice your proofreading skills by correcting a given text.
3. Using Technology to Write Business Materials
In this lesson, you'll see how businesses can use technology to help them create and write various kinds of business materials. See how various computer programs can be used to create the different parts of business materials.
4. Mistakes to Avoid in Business Writing
Well-written business communication is crucial to a functional and productive workplace. Read on to learn about common mistakes employees make in business writing and how to avoid them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.