About This Chapter
Polygons & Quadrilaterals Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
The resources in this chapter are designed to help you augment your regular teaching program. You can use these lesson plan outlines, accompanying lessons, activities and other materials to make learning about polygons and quadrilaterals easy and fun for your students. The chapter includes resources on squares, rectangles and other quadrilaterals, congruence and irregularity and more. You will find resources that will help you develop:
- Lessons on polygons and irregularity and congruence in polygons
- Classroom assignments on congruent figures giving definitions and examples
- Homework or classwork on estimating and finding area in irregular shapes
- Activities and games on quadrilaterals and quadrilateral hierarchy charts
- In-class or take-home assignments on rectangles, squares and the properties of a rhombus
- Class lessons on how to measure the perimeter and area of parallelograms including squares, trapezoids and more
How It Helps
- Common core: Helps you ascertain that your lessons on polygons and quadrilaterals meet current educational requirements
- Activities and games: Gives you ideas for games and activities on polygons and quadrilaterals that you can use to help make learning about these activities fun
- Homework/classwork suggestions: Provides suggestions for assignments on quadrilaterals and polygons that your students can work on in class or complete at home
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning polygons and quadrilaterals lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific topics on polygons and quadrilaterals that you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans on polygons and quadrilaterals.
- Share the related lessons on congruent figures for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important concepts from the lessons on squares and rectangles.
- Engage your students with relevant activities, discussion questions or other materials related to polygons and quadrilaterals found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Polygons Lesson Plan
What is a polygon? As you delve into the world of these shapes, use this lesson plan as a guide. In it, a video lesson defines and exemplifies the term 'polygon,' a quiz ensures that students grasp key points, and a worksheet gives them a chance to practice identifying polygons.
2. What Are Polygons? - Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how the shapes that you grew up with are all related. Learn why the shapes of bricks, stars, and street blocks are considered polygons while the sun, moon, and rolling hills are not.
3. Interior Angles of Polygons Activities
Teaching students about the interior angles of polygons is an important part of teaching them geometry. This lesson offers some activities that will help students master this important set of concepts.
4. Congruent Polygons Lesson Plan
This lesson has it all: a cold reading, whole group quiz, and a fun activity that gets your students up and moving. By the end, they shouldn't have a problem identifying congruent and similar shapes, and defending their reasoning!
5. Congruent Polygons: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review what polygons are, and you'll discover the conditions that polygons must meet in order to be congruent. Then, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
6. Congruent Figures Lesson Plan
This lesson is helpful when identifying congruent shapes at the high school level. You will show students examples of congruent shapes as well as provide opportunities for identification.
7. What Are Congruent Figures? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what congruent figures are. You'll also see a few examples of congruent and non-congruent figures. Then, test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
8. Applying Scale Factors to Figures Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, high school students are introduced to scale factors. Students participate in an inquiry activity, watch and discuss an explanatory video, and then have the opportunity to continue with a hands-on exploration
9. Area of Irregular Shapes Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn how to find the area of an irregular shape. They will review the formulas for area, practice dividing an irregular shape into component parts, and calculate the area of irregular shapes.
10. Estimating the Area of Irregular Shapes
Many shapes have formulas that allow you to find the area quickly. Some shapes are irregular and do not fall neatly into these formulas. This lesson will cover how to find the area of different, irregular shapes.
11. Area & Perimeter of Irregular Shapes Games
When students are studying geometry, it's important for them to learn about finding the area and perimeter of irregular shapes. Use these games to help students practice this skill.
12. Irregular Polygons Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will spend time exploring the difference between regular and irregular polygons. A fun, hands-on activity really allows them to firmly define irregular polygons.
13. What is an Irregular Polygon? - Definition & Shapes
Polygons show up often in the world around us. This lesson will define regular and irregular polygons and teach us to distinguish between the two. We will become familiar with different n-sided polygons and their shapes.
14. Quadrilaterals Lesson Plan
Can your students identify a quadrilateral? With this lesson plan, you can use a video lesson to outline the concept, a worksheet based on our quiz to check for understanding, and a hands-on activity to drive home key facts.
15. What is a Quadrilateral? - Definition, Properties, Types & Examples
This lesson explains the definition and properties of a quadrilateral. We will look at examples of two categories of quadrilaterals. At the end, you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz.
16. Quadrilateral Games & Activities
Learning about geometry can be fun if we want it to be. We just need some games and activities to throw into the mix. Try out a few of these in your classroom.
17. Quadrilateral Hierarchy Chart Activity
Quadrilaterals can be organized into a hierarchy chart based on their properties. Follow this series of steps and activities to bring your students to a full understanding about how quadrilaterals are categorized.
18. Rhombus Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students will be exposed to the geometry of rhombuses. They will practice making rhombuses and learn to distinguish them from other similar shapes.
19. What Is a Rhombus? - Definition and Properties
Watch this video lesson to learn why rhombuses are a special type of quadrilateral. Also, learn why a rhombus is also a parallelogram. Watch as we explore the sides and angles of a rhombus.
20. Rectangles Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students learn the properties of rectangles through a video and class discussion before putting formulas for area, perimeter, and diagonals into practice by measuring classroom items.
21. Rectangle: Types, Properties & Formulas
Did you know that a special type of rectangle can be found in the Mona Lisa painting? Learn what this type is. Also learn what makes a rectangle a rectangle, and how to make calculations with them.
22. Area of Rectangles & Squares Lesson Plan
This lesson plan requires students to work in small groups and individually to measure and calculate area using the formula for area. Students will be required to calculate area in a variety of contexts.
23. Measuring the Area of a Rectangle: Formula & Examples
Look around you, and you see rectangles all over the place. And if you see paint, carpet, or anything that covers a rectangular area, you can be sure that someone has measured the area of the rectangle. Watch this video lesson to learn more.
24. Perimeter & Area of a Square
You can measure your height, your weight, or even your age. Right? Did you know that you can also measure a square? Yep. Let's learn all about measuring squares!
25. Area of a Parallelogram Lesson Plan
This lesson engages students in constructing and finding the area of parallelograms. A short video will introduce them to the concepts, then an exciting, hands-on activity will allow them to apply what they learned and cement the knowledge in their brain!
26. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
27. Area of a Trapezoid Lesson Plan
This lesson plan introduces finding the area of a trapezoid by combining the formulas for the areas of a triangle and a rectangle. Students will form groups to work on a group activity where they will create trapezoids from triangles and rectangles.
28. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
29. Area of a Rectangle Games
If you're teaching your students geometry, discussing how to find the area of certain two-dimensional shapes is essential. Use these games to help students understand how to find the area of a rectangle.
30. Area & Perimeter Word Problems
Finding area and perimeter can sometimes be confusing in a word problem. The following lesson provides area and perimeter word problems with explanations on how to solve them.
31. Area & Perimeter Activities for High School
Do you need some meaningful, engaging activities to help your students with area and perimeter? This lesson offers ideas that will ignite students' interests and deepen their understanding of these mathematical concepts.
32. Measuring Perimeter Games
Learning how to measure perimeter is sometimes a difficult concept for students. The following games and activities will reinforce the mathematical concepts associated with measuring perimeter.
33. Classifying Quadrilaterals Games
If you are trying to teach your students how to classify quadrilaterals, it can be a good idea to include some games that everyone can play. This lesson offers several games that your students will enjoy as they practice their math.
34. Geometric Proofs for Polygons Lesson Plan
Learning how to prove geometric statements is an important skill for your students to develop. Your students will learn how to do geometric proofs for polygons as they watch a video, complete proofs and take a quiz.
35. Quadrilaterals Activities for High School Geometry
Do you need to bring some fun into teaching quadrilaterals? This lesson has exciting activities to deepen your students' understanding of quadrilaterals and their properties.
36. Similar Polygons Activities for High School
If you teach high school geometry, you'll spend some time discussing the concept of similarity. This lesson provides activities that will bring similar polygons into focus for your high school students.
37. Polygons Activities for Middle School Math
How can you get your middle school students excited about polygons? Check out this lesson full of activities that are sure to spark student interest and increase understanding of polygons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.