About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other precalculus work.
- Identify the polynomial functions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school precalculus tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn the basics of polynomial functions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding basic polynomial graphs, Pascal's Triangle, polynomial behavior or any other polynomial functions basics topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their polynomial functions basics unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in precalculus
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning polynomial functions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live precalculus tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn polynomial functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Study the terminology of polynomial functions.
- Learn to evaluate a polynomial in function notation.
- Describe how to graph a first degree polynomial.
- Find intervals of polynomial functions.
- Understand the short run and long run behavior of polynomials.
- Learn to graph cubics, quartics and quintics.
- Study Pascal's Triangle and learn to use it with polynomials.
- Define binomial expressions used in the binomial theorem.
1. Terminology of Polynomial Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to understand and use the words associated with polynomial functions like a pro. You will see words, such as leading coefficient, and you will immediately know what it is referring to.
2. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
3. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
4. Finding Intervals of Polynomial Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the intervals of a polynomial function. Also learn how to find out whether each interval is negative or positive.
5. Short Run & Long Run Behavior of Polynomials: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the graph of a polynomial to help you explain the polynomial function. Learn how to explain the behavior of the polynomial at the origin and at the far ends.
6. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
7. Pascal's Triangle: Definition and Use with Polynomials
Pascal's Triangle is defined and discussed briefly. Following the introduction to the triangle, its use in expanding polynomial powers is elaborated with examples.
8. The Binomial Theorem: Defining Expressions
In this lesson, students will learn the binomial theorem and get practice using the theorem to expand binomial expressions. The theorem is broken down into its parts and then reconstructed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Tutoring Solution course
- Working with Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Working With Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Absolute Value Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Complex Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Systems of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Mathematical Modeling: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Quadratics in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Quadratic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Functions - Basics for Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Function Operations: Tutoring Solution
- Graph Symmetry: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing with Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Rate of Change in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Functions and Difference Quotients: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs: Tutoring Solution
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Using Trigonometric Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Graphs: Tutoring Solution
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Identities: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Applications in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants: Tutoring Solution
- Mathematical Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- Sets in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations: Tutoring Solution
- Continuity in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution