About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Precalculus Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to understand polynomial functions basics. There is no faster or easier way to learn about polynomial functions. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about intervals of polynomial functions, polynomials in function notation, polynomial graphs, Pascal's Triangle, or the binomial theorem.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a precalculus curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Polynomial Functions unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Polynomial Functions Unit Objectives:
- Give examples of leading terms and coefficients.
- Discover how to understand polynomial graphs.
- Illustrate the short- and long-run behavior of polynomials.
- Learn to graph cubics, quartics and quintics.
- Use Pascal's Triangle with polynomials.
- Explain binomial expressions used in the binomial theorem.
1. Terminology of Polynomial Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to understand and use the words associated with polynomial functions like a pro. You will see words, such as leading coefficient, and you will immediately know what it is referring to.
2. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
3. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
4. Finding Intervals of Polynomial Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the intervals of a polynomial function. Also learn how to find out whether each interval is negative or positive.
5. Short Run & Long Run Behavior of Polynomials: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the graph of a polynomial to help you explain the polynomial function. Learn how to explain the behavior of the polynomial at the origin and at the far ends.
6. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
7. Pascal's Triangle: Definition and Use with Polynomials
Pascal's Triangle is defined and discussed briefly. Following the introduction to the triangle, its use in expanding polynomial powers is elaborated with examples.
8. The Binomial Theorem: Defining Expressions
In this lesson, students will learn the binomial theorem and get practice using the theorem to expand binomial expressions. The theorem is broken down into its parts and then reconstructed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Graphing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Linear Systems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Linear Models: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Geometry Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Recognizing Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Graph Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rate of Change: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomials: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Rational Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Evaluating Logarithmic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions in Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Basic Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Laws of Sine & Cosine: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors & Matrices: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Sequences: Homeschool Curriculum
- Identifying Conic Sections: Homeschool Curriculum
- Parametric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Continuity: Homeschool Curriculum
- Limits in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Groups & Sets in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum