About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Polynomial Functions in Algebra chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Graphing cubics, quartics and quintics||Local maximums and minimums, end behavior of graphs and lead coefficients|
|Tuesday||Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials||Adding like terms, underlining method and variables|
|Wednesday||Dividing polynomials with long division||Dividend and quotient|
|Thursday||Using synthetic division to divide polynomials||Descending order, coeffients, leading coefficients and dividend polynomial|
|Friday||Working with operations of polynomials in several variables||Polynomial and variable; adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing polynomials with several variables|
1. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
4. How to Use Synthetic Division to Divide Polynomials
Synthetic division is a 'short-cut' way of dividing a polynomial by a monomial. You still need to know long division, sorry, but this method is way fun when you're dividing by a monomial!
5. Dividing Polynomials with Long and Synthetic Division: Practice Problems
Let's look at some more polynomial division problems. We will use long division and synthetic division, but this time we will have a couple of more involved problems. So, get out some paper and a pencil and let's begin!
6. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Basic Arithmetic in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Decimals & Fractions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Percent Notation in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Real Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Radical Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Matrices & Absolute Value in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Properties of Exponents in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Distribution Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Factoring in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Cubic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Measurement & Geometry in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Data, Statistics, & Probability Lesson Plans
- Well-Known Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans