About This Chapter
Polynomials Overview - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our experienced instructors lead videos that outline polynomials, binomials and quadratics. You'll also look at FOIL, factoring, and the area method. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Add, subtract and multiply polynomials
- Use FOIL and the area method to multiply binomials
- Solve practice problems about binomial multiplication
- Factor quadratic equations using FOIL in reverse
Work at your own pace as you study as few or as many of the lessons as you need to meet your educational goals. Help from one of our experts is available via the dashboard if you need it. In addition to the lesson quizzes, we also include a chapter test for more comprehensive assessment of your knowledge.
1. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
4. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
5. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AFQT: Practice & Study Guide course
- Understanding Words in Context
- Principles of Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- Basic Numerical Representations
- Fundamental Mathematical Operations
- Basics of Solving Word Problems
- Factors, Exponents & Roots
- Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Geometry & Algebra
- Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Fundamentals of Solving Equations
- Probability & Sample Space
- AFQT Flashcards