About This Chapter
1. What is a Natural Habitat? - Definition & Habitat Destruction
There are many places that animals, plants, and other organisms call home - their natural habitats. In this lesson, you will go over a few natural habitats and discover ways in which some are being destroyed.
2. What Is Ecological Balance? - Definition & Importance
In this lesson, we'll discuss what ecological balance is and how it's important for the function of an ecosystem. We'll also explore some examples of ecological balance.
3. What is an Ecological Imbalance? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of ecological imbalance and explore some examples of ecosystems that have shifted to a state of imbalance. Test your new knowledge at the end with a quiz.
4. What Is Biotic Potential? - Definition & Examples
What does the term 'biotic potential' mean? What are the factors that contribute to calculating and comparing the biotic potential of one organism to that of another? In this lesson you will learn the definition of this term as well as some of the ecological phenomena that surround it.
5. Ecological Niche: Definition & Importance
Most people want to feel like they belong and have an important role in society. This is also true in a biological aspect. In this lesson, we will learn about ecological niches as well as the roles of organisms and the various aspects of their lives.
6. What Is Secondary Succession? - Definition, Examples & Stages
In this lesson, we will investigate the process of secondary succession. Learn about where secondary succession happens, why it happens, how it happens, and what it looks like.
7. K-Selected Species: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll examine one category of life history strategy, K-selection. Learn about the major characteristics of K-selection and some species that employ this strategy.
8. Predator in Ecosystems: Definition & Explanation
This lesson will define what predators are, explain how they behave, and discuss their role in an ecosystem. Examples of predators will also be given.
9. Dispersal in Ecology: Definition & Explanation
When you see a bunch of seeds floating through the air, they are dispersing in order to move to a new home. Both plants and animals disperse actively or passively. We'll discuss both ways in this lesson.
10. How Birth, Immigration, Emigration & Death Affect Populations
Populations change based on the births, deaths, immigrations, and emigrations that occur within the group. These additions and subtractions all affect population size, but do so in different ways.
Symbiotic Relationships List & Flashcards
With this set of flashcards, you will learn all about interactions between different lifeforms on Earth--some that are awesome and some that are pretty scary! Read this flashcard set to learn about concepts such as symbiosis, commensalism, mutualism and parasitism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Genetics & Evolution Overview
- Food Webs Overview
- Components of Living Things
- Intro to Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Human Body Systems: Functions & Processes
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation
- Scientific Data: Organization, Analysis & Drawing Conclusions
- Types of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Processes
- Fundamentals of Matter
- Mechanics of Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Introduction to Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Waves, Sound and Light
- Space, The Solar System and the Universe
- Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- Geology Basics
- Fundamentals of Genetics