About This Chapter
Positive Effects of Fitness - Chapter Summary
This chapter is all about the ways in which fitness can have a positive impact on students, going beyond the physical aspect to examine its effect on student interaction, social perspective, and more. By the time you finish the chapter, you'll have studied all of the following:
- Effective communication within P.E. programs
- The role of fitness in students' understanding of diversity
- The sociocultural benefits of taking part in fitness
- Inclusion, etiquette, and fair play within P.E.
- Cultivating lifelong sport skills
- Motivating students
If you're worried about forgetting material as you go along, you can use the practice quizzes attached to each lesson to confirm and apply your understanding before moving on. These quizzes can be taken over as many times as you want, at any point of the chapter you like. They can also be printed as worksheets for additional offline use.
1. How Fitness Promotes Healthy Competition & Achievement
In this lesson we review ways fitness promotes both achievement and healthy competition. We also discuss some of the other positive benefits of fitness and elaborate on healthy alternatives to risky behaviors.
2. Promoting Positive Behavior With Fitness
In this lesson, we will read about ways to promote positive behavior with fitness. We will explore the related methodologies including health promotion, crime reduction, community involvement, and social media. We'll also look at important developmental aspects such as honesty and sportsmanship.
3. Effective Communication in Physical Education Programs
In this lesson, we'll define effective communication techniques that demonstrate sensitivity to student differences, encourage student communication, and foster engagement in the physical education environment.
4. Understanding Diversity Through Fitness
This lesson defines the terms respect and acceptance. It also discusses how teachers can use sports and games to help students understand diversity and how to appreciate others that are different from them.
5. The Sociocultural Benefits of Participating in Fitness
Physical activity offers many benefits. This lesson will focus on the sociocultural benefits of participation in physical activities. We will end with a short quiz to gauge what you have learned.
6. Physical Education Class: Inclusion, Etiquette & Fair Play
In this lesson we discuss the concepts of etiquette, fair play, and inclusion in physical education class. This also includes the students respect for others along with showing consideration and sportsmanship.
7. Developing Lifelong Sports Skills
You want to encourage students to develop sports skills that will last them a lifetime. What are the principles, techniques and organizational strategies that will help you do that? This lesson fills you in and gives you some ideas to promote lifelong sports skills.
8. Motivating Students in Physical Education Programs
Do your students seem to get bored easily in P.E. class? Well, here you'll learn that there are many ways by which you can motivate students in physical education class, ranging from how you phrase feedback to the learning environment you create for them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Physical Education Subtest I (129): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Physical Education Test
- Physical Fitness & Development
- Motor Learning & Development
- Body Systems
- Motion & Movement
- Effects of Exercise
- Components of Wellness
- Physical Fitness Testing & Prescription
- Safety, Injury Prevention & First Aid
- Physiological Principles of Fitness
- Physical Education Class Planning
- Physical Individual & Team Activities
- Physical Education Student Assessments
- CSET Physical Education Subtest 1 Flashcards