About This Chapter
Positive Learning Environments for Young Children - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons explore all the ways to establish a productive learning environment. They highlight ways of managing the physical space to make it conducive to the education of all types of learners, including those with special needs. Our instructors will discuss how to manage behavior and attitudes and the importance of scheduling.
You'll also explore how to take the children's existing knowledge and interests into account to promote learning. By the time you've watched all these lessons, you should know more about topics that include:
- How safe learning environments promote education
- Respecting children
- Characteristics of a good physical space for learning
- How to use the environment to motivate learners
- Qualities of appropriate classroom resources for all children
- Research-based strategies for managing behaviors in the classroom
- How to establish classroom routines
- Why children's interests should be considered important to learning
These fun lessons average just five minutes in length, and you can watch them from anywhere that you have Internet access. After each lesson is a short quiz that lets you assess your knowledge. If you need to re-visit a certain topic, we have a Timeline with clickable links that makes it simple to jump right back to that part. You can read along through a text transcript with key terms and concepts in bold type.
1. Safe & Supportive Learning Environments: Design & Maintenance
Classroom environments should promote student achievement. This lesson will explore how a safe and supportive learning environment is created and maintained.
2. Creating a Respectful Learning Environment
What is respect? How can teachers create a respectful learning environment? Teachers, students, and schools all play a role in fostering respect for others in academic settings. This lesson offers useful strategies for promoting inclusion and respectful behavior in schools.
3. Managing the Physical Space for Early Childhood Learning
In this lesson, we'll learn strategies for managing physical space in the context of early childhood learning. We'll learn about the importance of safety, functionality, and aesthetics. We'll also look at how seating arrangements can be configured.
4. How to Create a Challenging Classroom Environment
In this lesson, we'll develop strategies to create a challenging classroom environment. We'll identify techniques used to promote student learning and understand why these techniques are beneficial.
5. Materials & Resources for an Early Childhood Classroom
In this lesson, we'll learn about providing useful and appropriate resources to students in an early childhood classroom. We'll identify the types of resources that can be beneficial, and we'll see how they can be used to enhance learning for all students.
6. Managing Classroom Behaviors of Young Children
In this lesson, we'll learn about managing the behaviors of young children within the classroom context. We'll highlight challenges, and we'll identify strategies that can help teachers and childcare workers address behavioral issues.
7. Establishing Daily Classroom Routines
The learning environment must be properly managed to promote student success. This lesson describes ideas for making clear expectations for classroom schedules, transitions, and routines.
8. Using Children's Interests & Experiences to Promote Learning
Knowing your students well helps you plan rich, engaging lessons. How does this work? This lesson explains how and why to use children's interests and experiences to maximize learning opportunities in your classroom.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the ORELA Early Childhood Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Health & Safety Issues in Early Childhood
- Promoting Learning & Development
- Assessment in Early Childhood
- Oral Language Development in Children
- Reading Instruction
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- Teaching Children Using the Arts
- Health & Physical Education for Children
- Math Foundations for Instruction
- Number Sense for Children
- Social Studies Concepts: Cultures
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Overview of American History
- Social Studies Concepts: Civics
- Social Studies Concepts: Economics
- Foundations for Teaching Science
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Science Concepts: Physical Sciences
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Roles & Responsibilities of Early Childhood Educators
- ORELA Early Childhood Education Flashcards