About This Chapter
Positive Learning Environments - Chapter Summary
This chapter will give you helpful techniques you can use to enhance student learning in your class. Here, you will find text lessons about how to provide safe, supportive, and respectful classroom environments for your students. Short self-assessments will help you test yourself on how to make your class challenging. You will have access to to bold-print vocabulary words that will better reinforce the technique of using children's interests and experiences to help them learn. Worksheets will also be provided to help you understand how to manage your elementary class students in ways that teach responsibility.
How It Helps
- Provides effective classroom elements: Your understanding of the ways to make your class safe and supportive will help you include the effective elements in the structure of your curriculum and teaching techniques.
- Increases student motivation: Because you will learn how to make your classroom more challenging for your students, you will be able to develop your curriculum to support your efforts.
- Promotes student involvement: Your knowledge of the importance of student experiences and interests in the class will help you assist your students in becoming actively involved in their own learning processes.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand the link between student learning and safe and supportive class environments
- Develop your curriculum to support the goal of making your classroom into a respectful one
- Create lessons and activities that are challenging for your students
- Integrate some of your students' interests into the curriculum to help them learn better
- Build classroom activities to teach responsibility to elementary students
1. Safe & Supportive Learning Environments: Design & Maintenance
Classroom environments should promote student achievement. This lesson will explore how a safe and supportive learning environment is created and maintained.
2. Creating a Respectful Learning Environment
What is respect? How can teachers create a respectful learning environment? Teachers, students, and schools all play a role in fostering respect for others in academic settings. This lesson offers useful strategies for promoting inclusion and respectful behavior in schools.
3. How to Create a Challenging Classroom Environment
In this lesson, we'll develop strategies to create a challenging classroom environment. We'll identify techniques used to promote student learning and understand why these techniques are beneficial.
4. Using Children's Interests & Experiences to Promote Learning
Knowing your students well helps you plan rich, engaging lessons. How does this work? This lesson explains how and why to use children's interests and experiences to maximize learning opportunities in your classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Classroom Management Strategies for Teachers course