About This Chapter
Power & Leadership in Business Organizations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our subject-matter experts compare different types of leadership and power in organizational settings. Dive into these lessons to learn about the positive and negative effects of leadership power, as well as the characteristics of several power types. The chapter comes with interactive self-assessments to reinforce your understanding of key concepts. You can complete the chapter at your own pace, and it's accessible on any device that has an Internet connection. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to explain the following power types in leadership:
- Formal and personal power
- Positional power
- Legitimate power
- Coercive power
- Reward power
- Referent power
- Expert power
1. Power Types in Leadership: Formal and Personal
Leaders exert power, which is necessary to get anything done. However, there are different types of power in leadership. In this lesson, we'll explore personal power and formal power. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
2. Positional Power: Legitimate, Coercive & Reward Power
Managers require different types of power to make things happen in their organizations. This lesson focuses on positional power. There are three types of positional power that will be explained in this lesson, including legitimate, reward and coercive power.
3. Legitimate Power in Leadership: Definition & Example
Legitimacy in leadership is one of the most important concepts in leadership and management. In this lesson, you will learn what legitimate power is. You'll also see an example of how an effective leader can augment legitimate authority.
4. Coercive Power in Leadership: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what coercive power is and some key concepts relating to it. You will also have an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz that follows the lesson.
5. Reward Power in Leadership: Definition & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn about reward power and its important concepts and then be provided an example to illustrate it. You'll have an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson.
6. Referent Power in Leadership: Definition & Examples
Referent power can be an effective means of leadership. In this lesson, you will learn what referent power is, some of its key concepts and be provided an example. You'll have a chance to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson.
7. Expert Power in Leadership: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will find out what expert power is, learn some of its important concepts, and be provided examples illustrating its use. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
8. Positive & Negative Effects of Power in Leadership
Power bestowed upon organizational leadership can be used in a positive or negative way. In this lesson, we'll examine the different forms of power and how they are used in leading effective organizations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- How Leadership Affects Organizational Change
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Choosing Organizational Structures
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Organizational Change Theories
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Communicating Change in Business
- Organizational Change & Company Culture
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Issues in Leading Organizational Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304