About This Chapter
Systems of Measurement - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will give you a firm grasp of the measurement systems used in the United States as well as an understanding of the metric system of measurement. You'll also learn to convert measurements between the two systems. Video lessons will get you up to speed on these topics:
- U.S. customary system of measurement
- The metric system: units and conversion
- Dimensional analysis and unit conversion
- Recognition and use of appropriate units of measure
- Reading a graduated scale
Skilled instructors will lead you through each topic, explaining and demonstrating what you need to know if taking a test. You'll gain a basic understanding of measurement units and methods and how they are used. The practice quizzes at the end of each video lesson will give you an idea of what type of questions will be on the real test and also allow you to assess your knowledge.
1. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
2. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Math Review for Teachers: Study Guide & Help course
- Fundamental Number Concepts
- Operation Properties & Computation
- Ratios, Proportions and Percents
- Numerical Reasoning
- Equations and Inequalities
- Geometric Properties of Shapes
- Coordinate Geometry Concepts & Practice Problems
- Measurement & Scaling for Simple & Complex Figures
- Data Analysis & Visualization
- Probability Concepts & Calculations