About This Chapter
Finding Main & Supporting Ideas - Chapter Summary
Using the lessons in this chapter can help you develop strategies for finding a main point and the supporting ideas in a reading passage. The videos cover the following methods to help you with these types of questions on an exam:
- Getting the gist of an essay and improving comprehension
- Using visualization strategies when reading texts
- Reading close vs. taking in the big picture
- Summarizing ideas from a passage
- Paraphrasing ideas to define the concept and context
- Finding specific details in a reading selection
- Identifying elements that support the main idea
Instructors guide you through each tactic, showing you how to use each effectively in preparation for your test. Being armed with different approaches can make identifying the main point and supporting ideas simpler, and the lessons make learning these methods fun.
1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
2. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.
3. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
In this lesson, learn about two different approaches to reading a work of literature: big picture strategies and close reading strategies. Discover how these two perspectives can be put into practice through examples from the play 'Romeo and Juliet.'
4. How to Paraphrase: Definition & Examples
Find out what it means to paraphrase, what the benefits are, and how paraphrasing is different from other ways to cite sources. You will also see examples of the ways paraphrasing can be used.
5. Finding Specific Details in a Reading Selection
Ever have trouble finding a specific detail in a reading selection? Often knowing the structure of the selection will help. This video lesson will give some strategies for finding specific details depending on selection structure.
6. How to Explain the Main Point through Supporting Details
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the supporting details that explain the main idea being presented in a piece of literature. You will also learn different strategies that can be applied to future questions about the main idea.
7. How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies
In this lesson, we will examine test taking strategies involved in answering multiple-choice questions about literature. Breaking the process down into manageable parts, we will take a look at the literary text, the question itself, and then the given choices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.