About This Chapter
Practical Application for Technical Writing - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've provided a series of lessons on the practical applications for technical writing. When you assign this chapter to your team members, they'll review ways in which to achieve clarity in technical writing and tips for effective proofreading. Your employees can access this corporate training resource on their smartphones, tablets or computers for convenient and flexible studying.
How It Helps
- Promotes growth: After using the tools, checklists and information in this chapter, your employees will be able to immediately implement new technical writing skills into their workdays.
- Simplifies training: Because this chapter is mobile-friendly and self-paced, your teams can complete it at their leisure, at their own pace and from anywhere they have access to the internet.
- Builds knowledge: This chapter helps your teams clearly understand how to successfully write technical descriptions.
Our corporate training chapter will prepare your teams to do the following:
- Write technical descriptions
- Achieve clarity in technical communication
- Outline characteristics of technical communication
- Understand technical writing in the workplace
- Evaluate and find sources for research
- Accurately proofread messages for clarity, grammar and spelling
1. Practical Application: Technical Communication Characteristics Infographic
This infographic will help you remember the characteristics of good technical communication. You can use this infographic for yourself, or print it for your office.
2. Practical Application: Writing Technical Descriptions
The written word often involves describing physical objects. Try these practice activities to help you hone your skills at writing technical descriptions of objects.
3. Practical Application: Achieving Clarity in Technical Communication
This scenario-based activity will give you practice at writing with clarity in technical communication. Here, you'll analyze scenarios and write your own technical writing with an emphasis on clarity.
4. Practical Application: Technical Writing in the Workplace Checklist
Use this checklist to help you with your technical writing, such as when you're writing an instruction manual for a new product your company has designed.
5. Practical Application: Finding & Evaluating Sources for Research
The quality of research sources varies, and the need for quality information also varies between projects. However, there are some surefire winners and losers when it comes to good sources.
6. Practical Application: Proofreading Messages for Spelling, Grammar, Accuracy & Clarity
How skilled are you with writing? Do you want to test your abilities? Here you will be given a chance to practice your proofreading skills by correcting a given text.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Skills Development & Training course
- Basics of Technical Writing
- Prewriting for Technical Documents
- Writing Technical Documents
- Technical Editing & Rewriting
- Elements of Technical Documents
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing
- Informal Technical Reports
- Formal Technical Reports
- Business Reports and Proposals
- Technical Correspondence
- Technical Writing in Business Correspondence
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters
- Technical Instructions
- Writing Technical Manuals
- How to Write Proposals