About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering analytical writing for the GMAT test will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about analytical writing concepts. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to structure an argument in an essay, write a strong essay body or engage readers
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about GMAT test topics (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about analytical writing concepts
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra resources for teaching GMAT test subjects
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Practicing Analytical Writing Help and Review chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Practicing Analytical Writing Help and Review chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about analytical writing. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the lessons in a practicing analytical writing unit of a standard GMAT prep course. Topics covered include:
- Essay introduction and thesis
- Informative essay structure
- Characteristics of a descriptive essay
- Appeal development and reader engagement
- Evaluative essay format
- Characteristics of a persuasive essay
1. How to Write a Great Essay Quickly
Many tests will require you to write a timed essay. You may feel panicked at the idea of having to produce a high-quality essay under a tight time constraint. But you can relax: this video shows you four basic steps to follow so that you can write a great essay quickly.
2. Practicing Essay Writing to Get Better at Writing
It can be tough to practice your essay-writing skills on your own without a teacher's feedback. With some time and practice (and by using this game plan), you'll be on your way to practicing, evaluating and improving your writing.
3. How to Engage Readers by Picking and Developing an Appeal
There are three types of appeals that you can use in your persuasive writing to make your arguments more effective. In this video, you'll learn about logical, ethical, and emotional appeals as well as how to use them.
4. How to Write a Great Argument
Many times our writing must not just be informative but it must also be persuasive. One of the best ways to be very persuasive is to use a great argument. Learn six steps you can follow to write a great argument.
5. How to Structure an Argument in Your Essay
When you write a persuasive essay, it's important to think about how you'll construct your argument, from how you'll arrange your major points to how and where you'll refute opposing views. This video covers some of the basics for structuring an argument.
6. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
7. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
8. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
9. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
10. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
11. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
12. Persuasive Essay: Format, Topics & Examples
Writing a persuasive essay may sound tricky, but it really isn't. This lesson will take you through the process, present possible topics and show you some examples of great persuasive essay elements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Prep: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic Calculations: Help and Review
- Rational Numbers: Help and Review
- Decimals and Percents: Help and Review
- Data & Statistics: Help and Review
- Basic Algebraic Expressions: Help and Review
- Exponents: Help and Review
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebra - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Perimeter, Area & Volume: Help and Review
- Geometric Properties of Objects: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Functions: Help and Review
- Writing Conventions - Grammar: Help and Review
- Usage in Writing: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Practical Applications for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Basics: Help and Review
- Essay Clarity: Help and Review
- Editing Your Writing: Help and Review
- GMAT Test: General Info
- GMAT Prep Flashcards