About This Chapter
Praxis Biology: DNA Technology - Chapter Summary
Expand your knowledge of gene therapy, DNA sequencing and DNA cloning in advance of taking the Praxis Biology examination. The online video lessons in this chapter are designed to refresh your memory of the genes that are involved in human development. They look at the use of cloning in the scientific and medical fields, and they also explore DNA-delivery techniques and the human genome project. Review these lessons in order to:
- Learn more about gene therapy and its applications
- Examine the pros and cons of gene therapy
- Describe the necessity of DNA sequencing and the structure of DNA
- Discover how DNA is cloned
Professional instructors outline the above topics in the informative lessons, and they can also provide personalized assistance by answering your questions. Study the short lessons at your convenience as you get set to take the Praxis Biology examination. The text lessons includes key words in bold terms and quizzes while the animated videos contain written transcripts and navigational video tags. You may print out the quiz results for the lessons to utilize as offline study tools.
Praxis Biology: DNA Technology Chapter Objectives
The Molecular and Cellular Biology section includes approximately 30 questions and is worth 20% of the Praxis Biology subject assessment examination. This is where you'll display your in-depth knowledge of DNA technology, including genome sequencing projects, DNA sequencing and gene therapy. You'll have 2.5 hours to finish the 150 selected-response questions that make up the whole computer-delivered examination.
1. DNA Sequencing and the Human Genome
DNA sequencing allows us to determine the exact genes that make up an individual. It can be used to screen for certain diseases and in crime scene analysis. Learn more about it in this lesson.
2. What is Gene Therapy? - Definition, History Pros, Cons & Examples
Learn how gene therapy is used to treat disease, the history of the treatment and its trials, as well as the pros and cons associated with this controversial new technique.
3. DNA Cloning: Definition and Process
DNA cloning is used for a variety of purposes, but how does it work? In this video lesson, you will learn about the process of cloning DNA, as well as see examples of how cloning is used in science, medicine, and consumer products.
4. Transgenic Organisms: Definition & Uses
Transgenic or genetically modified organisms are all around us. In this lesson, we'll discuss what they are, the different ways they are produced, and the variety of purposes they serve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Biology (5235): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Processes and Disciplines
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Hypotheses, Theories and Change
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Numbers
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Interpretation and Models
- Praxis Biology: Laboratory Safety
- Praxis Biology: Laboratory Equipment & Measurements
- Praxis Biology: Molecular Structure Basics
- Praxis Biology: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis Biology: Biological Molecules and Processes
- Praxis Biology: Cellular Energy Flow
- Praxis Biology: Cell Structures and Functions
- Praxis Biology: Cellular Division
- Praxis Biology: DNA and Replication
- Praxis Biology: RNA and Gene Expression
- Praxis Biology: Mutations and Other Genetic Changes
- Praxis Biology: Biology Lab Techniques
- Praxis Biology: Genetics and Inheritance
- Praxis Biology: Human Genetics
- Praxis Biology: Species, Populations and Evolution
- Praxis Biology: Origin of Life on Earth
- Praxis Biology: Classification of Organisms
- Praxis Biology: Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Praxis Biology: Immunology
- Praxis Biology: Animal Reproduction and Development
- Praxis Biology: Plant Biology
- Praxis Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Praxis Biology: Population Ecology
- Praxis Biology: Ecosystem Ecology
- Praxis Biology: Human Impacts on the Environment
- Praxis Biology: Environment and Society
- Praxis Biology Flashcards