About This Chapter
Praxis Biology: Immunology - Chapter Summary
Use this professionally taught chapter on immunology to get ready for the Praxis Biology exam. Watch videos on antibiotics, vaccines and acquired immunity at your own pace and on your own schedule. After you finish this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail innate immunity mechanisms, including neutrophils, inflammation and natural killer cells
- Explain T cells, B cells, antibodies and other forms of acquired immunity
- Outline how vaccines and antibiotics work
- Discuss HIV, flu viruses and immune system evasion
- Identify antibiotic resistance and virulence as it relates to pathogens
Because this chapter is readily available, you can study any time that works well for you. Our videos are easy to navigate using the timeline feature, so you can go back and review as needed. If you have any questions along the way, reach out to one of our instructors through the Dashboard.
1. Innate Immunity: Inflammation, Neutrophils & Natural Killer Cells
The innate immune system builds a defense against dangerous pathogens and other foreign invaders of the body. Explore the innate immune system and discover the functions of various immune cells, like neutrophils, which are the first immune cells to respond to wounds.
2. Acquired Immunity: T Cells, B Cells and Antibodies
People who have acquired immunity against an illness cannot be infected with it again. Discover how T cells, B cells, and antibodies work together to fight illnesses in this lesson.
3. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Antibiotics and vaccines have a great contribution to the increase in life expectancy over time. Learn more about the history of antibiotics and vaccines, and how different types of vaccines are developed.
4. Flu Viruses, HIV and Immune System Evasion
Some viruses, such as influenza and HIV, continue to spread and infect despite the human immune system. Understand characteristics of these viruses, such as rapid or high mutation rates, and how they help in evading the human body's protections.
5. Pathogens: Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence
Antibiotic resistance comes about when a disease causing microbe evolves to hold out against the effects of medications due to overuse. Study antibiotic resistance, its dangers, virulence, factors of virulence, and how virulence specificity is beneficial.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Praxis Biology: Content Knowledge (5235): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Processes and Disciplines
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Hypotheses, Theories and Change
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Numbers
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Interpretation and Models
- Praxis Biology: Laboratory Safety
- Praxis Biology: Laboratory Equipment & Measurements
- Praxis Biology: Molecular Structure Basics
- Praxis Biology: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis Biology: Biological Molecules and Processes
- Praxis Biology: Cellular Energy Flow
- Praxis Biology: Cell Structures and Functions
- Praxis Biology: Cellular Division
- Praxis Biology: DNA and Replication
- Praxis Biology: RNA and Gene Expression
- Praxis Biology: Mutations and Other Genetic Changes
- Praxis Biology: Biology Lab Techniques
- Praxis Biology: DNA Technology
- Praxis Biology: Genetics and Inheritance
- Praxis Biology: Human Genetics
- Sources of Genetic Variation
- Praxis Biology: Species, Populations and Evolution
- Praxis Biology: Origin of Life on Earth
- Praxis Biology: Classification of Organisms
- Praxis Biology: Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Praxis Biology: Animal Reproduction and Development
- Praxis Biology: Plant Biology
- Praxis Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Praxis Biology: Population Ecology
- Praxis Biology: Ecosystem Ecology
- Conservation Biology
- Praxis Biology: Human Impacts on the Environment
- Praxis Biology: Environment and Society
- Praxis Biology Flashcards