About This Chapter
Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Interpretation and Models - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help you get ready for the Praxis II Biology test by exploring ways to read, interpret and present data. You will learn the pros and cons of using charts, tables, graphs and models, and several lessons consist of practice problems on interpreting tables, graphs and charts of scientific data. By the conclusion of this chapter, you should have an understanding of these topics:
- How to read scientific graphs and charts
- Error analysis
- Drawing conclusions and making predictions
- Limitations of scientific models
- Choosing scientific models
- Physical, conceptual, mathematical and graphical models
Experienced instructors explain each concept in these videos, often using examples to make illustrate their points. At the end of each video are lesson summaries and quizzes that will enable you to test your knowledge. Embedded links make it easy to refer back to key topics in the video without having to re-watch the entire lesson.
Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Interpretation and Models Chapter Objectives
Many states require that candidates for teacher certification pass the appropriate Praxis II subject exams. There are 150 multiple-choice questions on the Praxis II Biology - Content Knowledge test. This exam is available on paper or computer and has a two-hour time limit. The test is divided into six sections, and the topics from this chapter are part of section I, Basic Principles of Science. Section 1 contains 12 questions, which comprise 8% of the biology exam's total.
1. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
2. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
3. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
4. Evaluating Data: Precision, Accuracy & Error
The data you present as a scientist needs to be as accurate, precise and error-free as possible. In this lesson, we'll discuss what each of these terms means, as well as how error is introduced into measurements and other data collection.
5. Selecting Appropriate Models in Science
Scientific models are used to describe physical phenomenon and are tested against real world data. In this lesson, you will become familiar with a real example of how scientists select appropriate models for their work including knowledge of their limitations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Biology (5235): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Processes and Disciplines
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Hypotheses, Theories and Change
- Praxis Biology: Science Principles - Numbers
- Praxis Biology: Laboratory Safety
- Praxis Biology: Laboratory Equipment & Measurements
- Praxis Biology: Molecular Structure Basics
- Praxis Biology: Chemical Reactions
- Praxis Biology: Biological Molecules and Processes
- Praxis Biology: Cellular Energy Flow
- Praxis Biology: Cell Structures and Functions
- Praxis Biology: Cellular Division
- Praxis Biology: DNA and Replication
- Praxis Biology: RNA and Gene Expression
- Praxis Biology: Mutations and Other Genetic Changes
- Praxis Biology: Biology Lab Techniques
- Praxis Biology: DNA Technology
- Praxis Biology: Genetics and Inheritance
- Praxis Biology: Human Genetics
- Praxis Biology: Species, Populations and Evolution
- Praxis Biology: Origin of Life on Earth
- Praxis Biology: Classification of Organisms
- Praxis Biology: Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Praxis Biology: Immunology
- Praxis Biology: Animal Reproduction and Development
- Praxis Biology: Plant Biology
- Praxis Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Praxis Biology: Population Ecology
- Praxis Biology: Ecosystem Ecology
- Praxis Biology: Human Impacts on the Environment
- Praxis Biology: Environment and Society
- Praxis Biology Flashcards