About This Chapter
1. What is Food Preparation? - Definition & Types
Humans are the only living beings on Earth that do not exclusively eat food as it appears in nature. In this lesson, we'll look at the stages of food preparation and see what they mean to the culinary arts today.
2. Basic Food Preparation Skills
Understanding the basics of food preparation means acquiring some important skills in the kitchen. In this lesson, you'll learn more about some basic food preparation skills that will help at home or in a commercial kitchen.
3. Food Preparation Terms
Brushing up on your food preparation knowledge means having a solid understanding of important kitchen terms. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the key vocabulary terms crucial in food prep.
4. Food Preparation: Hygiene & Safety
In this lesson, we will review basic food safety guidance in a commercial setting. We will give special focus to maintaining a clean and hygienic food prep area, as well as storing, cooking, and serving food at safe temperatures.
5. Food Preparation Regulations
This lesson describes basic food safety regulations that are required to be followed by food handlers when preparing and serving food. Temperature control, personal hygiene, and operational cleanliness are discussed.
6. Types of Food Preparation Equipment
In this lesson on food and beverage management, you will learn about the different types of equipment used for food preparation, including essential knowledge of equipment required for efficient operation and management of food production.
7. What is Menu Planning? - Basics & Importance
Deciding what to eat involves so much more than grabbing whatever foods are available. In order to provide a quality meal, it takes some planning. In this lesson, we'll learn the basics of menu planning.
8. Kitchen Math: Measuring & Conversions
Math is everywhere, even in the kitchen! Recipes call for specific amounts of ingredients and sometimes require conversions between units. In this lesson, we learn about the different measurement equipment and conversions used for cooking and baking.
9. Hospitality Industry: Definition & Overview
What is the hospitality industry? This lesson defines all aspects of the hospitality industry and explains different areas within the industry, its main focus, and factors that impact the industry.
10. Hospitality Industry: Skills, Competition & Turnover
The hospitality industry employs a large part of the workforce, including workers at restaurants, hotels, and airports. This lesson will take a look at the specific skills needed in this service industry, the competition within the industry, and the challenges of turnover.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Family & Consumer Sciences (5122): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis: Families & Relationships
- Praxis: Human Development
- Praxis: Early Childhood Education
- Praxis: Financial Literacy
- Praxis: Individual & Family Resources
- Praxis: Careers & Consumer Education
- Praxis: Food Science & Safety
- Praxis: Nutrition
- Praxis: Wellness & Dietary Guidelines
- Praxis: Housing & Interior Design
- Praxis: Textiles, Fashion & Apparel
- Praxis: Family & Consumer Science Education
- Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Flashcards