About This Chapter
Praxis Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education - Chapter Summary
Use this Praxis Early Childhood Education test-prep chapter to re-examine health and fitness issues in addition to the impacts of physical activity on children's learning and cognitive development. Video lessons cover the following topics:
- Dimensions of health and wellness
- Health promotion
- Children's health risks
- Human organ systems
- Psychosocial health
- Exercise program components
- Impacts of physical activity
This chapter features animated videos to help you visualize the anatomy of human organ systems, risk factors for disease or any other topic covered by our knowledgeable instructors. Multiple-choice lesson and chapter quizzes are also included if you'd like help pinpointing areas that would benefit from some extra study time.
Praxis Early Childhood Education: Health & Physical Education Objectives
Lessons in this chapter can prepare you for Praxis Early Childhood Education exam questions falling under the health and physical education content domain. These questions make up around 9% of test content and cover such topics as health promotion, disease prevention, child safety, human body systems, motor skill development and physical fitness, in addition to the effects of health and physical activity on student learning.
Scores on these and other test questions covering language, literacy, math, social studies, science and the arts are used to measure your content area knowledge and determine your eligibility for early childhood teacher licensing in states that require passing scores on this Praxis exam.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
3. Major Risks to Children's Health
This lesson will examine the major risks to children's health. We will also discuss some ways that these deaths could be prevented and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. What Is an Organ System? - Definition & Pictures
In this lesson, you will learn what an organ system is, and you will review each organ system in the human body. This will aid in your study of human anatomy and physiology. At the end of the lesson, a quiz will test your knowledge.
5. Improving Psychosocial Health - Factors & Positive Steps
What characterizes psychosocial health? This lesson focuses on the important factors that influence an individual's psychosocial health and the positive steps that can be taken to improve psychosocial health.
6. How Health Influences Learning in Children
This lesson highlights several common issues that impact health and learning in children. Following the lesson is a short quiz to test what you have learned.
7. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
8. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
9. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
10. How Physical Activity Impacts Childhood Development
Physical activity is an important aspect of childhood development for many reasons. This lesson will explore the importance of physical activity for healthy development and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
11. How Fitness Influences Learning
This lesson provides a quick overview of how fitness and a little exercise before testing can improve children's learning process. We get down to the scientific reason and look at a few case studies to understand how it works.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Early Childhood Education Test (5025): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Language Development
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Reading & Literature
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Learning Disorders
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Spelling Development
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Writing Development
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Sentence Structure
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Grammar
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Punctuation
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Writing Conventions
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Mathematical Thinking
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Foundations of Math
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Geometry
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Data & Statistics
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Identity Development
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Culture & Identity
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Geography Overview
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Earth Facts & Concepts
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Spatial Processes
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Civics & Government
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Science
- Praxis Early Childhood Education: Creative & Performing Arts
- Praxis Early Childhood Education Test Flashcards