About This Chapter
1. What is Food Science? - Definition & Research
You might not be aware of the amount of research that goes into developing and maintaining a steady, healthy food supply, but that's exactly where food science comes in. This lesson will delve into some of its applications.
2. Food Safety: Definition & Guidelines
Improper food preparation can cause you to fall ill as a result of various dangerous microorganisms. In this lesson, you'll learn how to properly prepare your food.
3. What Is a Foodborne Illness? - Definition and Common Types
In this lesson we will discuss illness caused by consuming contaminated foods. This will include defining the little known difference between food poisoning and food infection.
4. How to Prepare Food for Long-Term Storage
Throwing away food is not only wasteful but can also be costly. One way to preserve food is to package it in such a way that it can be stored for the long-term. Come along as we learn how to do so in this lesson.
5. Food & Beverage Storage Options: Dry, Refrigerated & Frozen
In this lesson, we will identify the three types of storage items for foods in the food and beverage industry: dry, refrigerated, and frozen. The lesson will also address quality concerns over each storage method.
6. Kitchen Sanitation & Safety
This lesson first describes the reasons why you should keep sanitary conditions in the kitchen and then how you can achieve that. It then goes over important safety considerations having to do with the kitchen.
7. Food Contamination: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, we will learn about food contamination. We'll define food contamination, including how that definition may be changing and also look as examples of food contamination.
8. Types of Food Contamination
In this lesson, we will learn about the different types of food contamination. We'll go over and learn more about the three main categories: physical, chemical, and biological.
9. The Farm-to-Table Movement: Definition & History
Understand how the farm-to-table movement came about and why it's becoming more and more popular. You'll also see that it has many benefits, both health-wise and economically.
10. Future Environmental Concerns: Population, Food Supply, Energy & Pollution
There are many issues that raise future environmental concerns. Learn how the environment may be impacted by the growing population and food and energy needs of the world, as well as growing pollution concerns as we move through the 21st century.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Family & Consumer Sciences (5122): Practice & Study Guide course
- Praxis: Families & Relationships
- Praxis: Human Development
- Praxis: Early Childhood Education
- Praxis: Financial Literacy
- Praxis: Individual & Family Resources
- Praxis: Careers & Consumer Education
- Praxis: Culinary Arts
- Praxis: Nutrition
- Praxis: Wellness & Dietary Guidelines
- Praxis: Housing & Interior Design
- Praxis: Textiles, Fashion & Apparel
- Praxis: Family & Consumer Science Education
- Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Flashcards